Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 25th, 2009 00:00

How do I search for a Particular Dell Knowledge Base Article?

Sounds like it should be obvious, but not to me.

I want to replace a hard drive currently in a RAID 0 configuration, and after much searching found the Dell article listed below.  I copied the article, and wanted to reference it in a forum posting with another question. I came back a few hours later to write the message, and checked the link to verify it worked – It didn’t work.  I searched for the title, but still was unsuccessful.

An article was referenced, (TT1081807 — "How Do I Configure My Dell™ Dimension™ 4600 to Boot from the CD Drive?"), and I attempted to search for it.  I was unsuccessful again.

Here is the article I’m attempting to reference.  Can someone give me a good link?  Also, how can I be notified when there is a reply?

How do I install Windows XP on Serial ATA, RAID, or SCSI Hard Drive?

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

NOTE: These steps assume you have prepared to boot from the CD drive using Dell Knowledge Base article:
TT1081807 — "How Do I Configure My Dell™ Dimension™ 4600 to Boot from the CD Drive?"

Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive, and boot from the CD drive.
The following message appears on a black screen with white letters: Press any key to boot from the CD.
Press the spacebar to boot to the Windows XP CD.
The Microsoft Windows XP Setup window appears with the following message at the bottom of the screen:
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.
Press the F6 key.
After several moments of initializing some modules, the Windows XP Setup screen appears.
NOTE: If you fail to press the F6 key in time, the error message Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. appears. You will have to restart the installation.
Press the S key.
The message Please insert the diskette labeled Manufacturer-supplied hardware support diskette into Drive A: appears.
Insert the FastTrak Driver Diskette in the floppy drive.
NOTE: The diskette may be labeled DSK, DRVR, SATA, DIM, PWS Driver Diskette.
Press the Enter key.
A list of controllers appears.
Leave the default selection and press the Enter key.
The Windows Setup screen appears again with the message Setup will load support for the following mass storage devices(s):.
This time it lists the Windows Promise FastTrak S150 TX2 (tm) Controller.
Press the Enter key.
Setup loads files for several moments.
The Windows XP Licensing Agreement window appears.
Read the license agreement.
Press the F8 key to accept the license agreement.
Setup searches for previous versions of Windows.
Press the Esc key.
The partition screen appears.
You need to delete the existing C: Partition2 [NTFS] for Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0.
NOTE: If you have a Disk 0 at Id 1 on bus 0, you may be viewing the partitions for your second hard drive. You do not have to delete any partitions on the second hard drive.
NOTICE: Performing the following steps will lead to the loss of ALL DATA on the hard drive. Be sure that all necessary backups have been created prior to proceeding.
For further information refer to Dell Knowledge Base Article:
RG1081777 — "How Do I Prepare My Dell™ Dimension™ 4600 For a Clean Installation of the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System?"
Use the arrow keys to highlight the C: Partition2 [NTFS], and then press the D key.
Press the Enter key.
Press the L key to confirm deletion of the partition.
Use the arrow keys to highlight the Unpartitioned space.
Press the Enter key to install.
The message A new partition for Windows XP has been created on (hard drive size) MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
This partition must now be formatted. appears.
Press the Enter key to start formatting.
NOTE: After completing the format, setup will examine your computer and copy files to the Windows installation folders. This process will take some time. Once it has completed, setup will initialize and then restart the computer.
Do not press any keys if the message Press any key to boot from the CD appears. Let Windows boot normally.
The amount of time it takes to complete the above process will vary depending upon the size of the hard drive and the speed of your system. You will not be prompted for anything during this time.
To complete the installation of Windows XP proceed to the Graphical User Interface section of Dell Knowledge Base Article:

159 Posts

September 25th, 2009 01:00

I finally found the link while closing many Firefox and Opera tabs.  It was a Dell answer to a forum post.  See the Dell answer to http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/1329385/1452371.aspx#1452371.  It appears to be a knowledge base article.  Still don't know why I can't find specific articles, or why this post is 8-point.  Think it is time for me to go to bed.

Jim

No Events found!