Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2013 01:00

How many PCI slots on Dell Optiplex 760

Hi all. I'm pretty new to the hardware side of computers and have a question I'm hoping someone can help answer...

I have a second hand Dell Optiplex 760 SFF which I can hopefully use as a PC for Word Processing, internet browsing and the odd game. I bought a ATI Radeon 5450 graphics card and added it last week. I'm now needing WiFi and purchased a PCIe card from eBay. Unfortunately last night I discovered the WiFi card won't fit. It would seem the Optiplex 760 SFF only has ONE PCIe slot which is currently being used by the graphics card. There is another card slot directly beside the PCIe slot but I don't think it's the same. It's shorter and grey in colour. Possibly just PCI?

Could someone please confirm what available connections are on the motherboard at my disposal? Could I purchase some type of adapter to allow this WiFi card to fit and work?

Thanks, Chris

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 02:00

Hi chrismcfet,

The Dell Optiplex 760 SFF system board has only PCI Express x16 connector and PCI connector.You may have to purchase a PCI connector wireless card, since the PCI Express card is already in use.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 08:00

USB WIFI is better.  SFF has LOW PROFILE SLOTS.  USFF has NO SLOTS Whatsoever. USB works no matter what size system you have.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=nb_sb_noss_1

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 02:00

OK. Thank you for your help. Is one of these a PCI connector card? If you don't mind me asking how can I tell the difference between PCI express and PCI connector?

www.ebay.co.uk/.../251032019014

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-TL-WN751ND-Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0055TNERM

No Events found!