Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2015 18:00

How to configure a raid volume on Precision T1700

I have enabled RAID in the BIOS, and have 2 drives connected. I do not see any options and nothing happens when I press CTRL-I during boot. I've done this many times on a PowerEdge and it prompts you to enter RAID bios during POST.

Why don't I have option to configure? I called support and they were scratching their heads too. It may be worth noting that WIndows 8 is installed and secure boot is enabled. 

12 Posts

May 23rd, 2015 11:00

Intel but I was lookng for something that didn't exist. Apparently there is no config option in the preboot environment. I was looking for the CTRL-R similar to every server I've ever worked on but its done by the Intel Rapid Storage software once you're booted up into the OS. It doesn't offer the same level of control (can't delete volume once it's created among other things) but it's a desktop class RAID controller. I was hoping for a bit more in the Precision.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I know this has been a while, but which RAID controller are you using?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Yeah, the T1700 has pretty limited options. The higher-end Precisions have full support for server-level RAID solutions.

1 Message

August 12th, 2015 19:00

After beating my head against the wall for an entire day here is what I FINALLY figured during a new clean install with 2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO's:  reset / default the BIOS then push F12 right before the Dell logo goes away.  For good measure I kept pushing it a bunch of times.  This brings up a boot menu with a selection for “Device Configuration”.   This is where the Intel RAID configuration is located when the BIOS is in UEFI mode which is the default mode for this computer.  Why its not called something else I have no idea.

Hopefully this saves some one else the grief I had to endure to figure out this really simple solution.....

1 Message

March 20th, 2017 11:00

For the record, the T1700 I received with BIOS A08 had the RAID BIOS as a legacy option ROM.

When I updated the BIOS to A21, the RAID BIOS disappeared until I disabled 'legacy option ROM' support in the BIOS. At this point I was able to get to the menu using the "Device Configuration" option.

No Events found!