Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2015 02:00

How to properly Install the Serial ATA update for my Inspiron 570

Hello,

The following link provides a Windows/Dos based Seagate Barracuda firmware update which after downloading I became uncertain how to install.    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NJKYF&fileId=3176063597&osCode=W764&productCode=inspiron-570&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SA&DCP=DNDTAG

The download is a zip file which when extracted produces files divided into 2 file folders:  Dos and Windows.  I am not sure which of these to install. The Inspiron 570 Product Support page does indicates:  "the file will automatically self-install after downloading" and "restart required." Yet I am unable to verify the file has indeed been installed and unfortunately, I downloaded the file quite a few times.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 1st, 2015 08:00

That is not an update you should install. Delete all the downloaded files. You do not need firmware updates for your model unless a support tech say you do. You might not even have a seagate hard drive. Just downloading the files does not install them. For the record--dos is no longer used or needed. You always use Windows version of updates.

All the drivers for your computer listed on the download page are not specifically for your hardware configuration. They are not required updates. Those are just for reinstalling drivers you already have. Don't install anything unless directed by a support tech. If you are having problems with your computer and think you need to reinstall drivers, post info here in the forum and someone will help.

322 Posts

November 1st, 2015 14:00

Mary G, thank you for your prompt, informative and helpful reply. 

I decided to install the driver hoping it would clear up a recent ongoing issue, but on hindsight I was just grabbing at straws.  Fortunately I checked to ensure my hard drive was Seagate before downloading the update. I will certainly take your advice and delete the downloads.

Also, I think it bears mentioning that I also updated (successfully) the bios. I was just reading through this forum and discovered that updating the bios can cause all sorts of problems for a computer. Should I restore my computer to the preupdate point or just leave it as it is?

No Events found!