Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2007 21:00

How to remove a default scanner?

I already posted this on the "beginners' list", sorry for the duplication!

Hi,

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to connect my scanner to my new Dimension 9200 (Vista). I have downloaded the drivers from HP (Scanjet 36700), but my stupid computer keeps telling me that the scanner is Xerox, not HP!

How can I get rid of the default scanner option?

I have never had a Xerox scanner. In fact I have never bought anything by Xerox!

This is driving me potty!

Is Dell forcing me to get rid of my perfectly good scanner and go buy Xerox?

Anyone else with the same problem? How did you sort it out???

UKFinn

49 Posts

June 21st, 2007 18:00

Since it is Vista, have you tried to contact Microsoft support?
Support.microsoft.com
Drill down into the Vista options.
You can find ways to contact support there (email,online or phone).

8 Posts

June 21st, 2007 20:00

Thanks. I will try it, although I cannot help thinking that it must be something to do with Dell. After all, why have a scanner default at all? Cannot they just leave it to the customer to decide which model to start using?

Today I managed to delete the default option (Xerox), but when I went to add hardware expecting there to be a list of scanners to choose from (hopefully including my own, HP Scanjet), the only option offered was once again Xerox!

Is Dell in cahoots with Xerox to sell scanners?

It will be interesting to see what happens next Mon/Tue when my new scanner arrives (Canon this time: they have had good reviews from people, and apparently work with Vista). Will I be able to install it?  I hope so!

Anyway, happy Midsummer to all! There will be big celebrations back home in Finland this weekend!

UKFinn (aka Kirsti)

49 Posts

June 21st, 2007 22:00

If Dell had anything to do with it, it would only list Dell AIO units. Just kidding Dell...

8 Posts

June 21st, 2007 22:00

Precisely!

But why Xerox? It makes not sense!

Kirsti
No Events found!