Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2008 10:00

I/O Card Parity Interrupt NMI Shutoff Reboot (S)hutoff (R)eboot at Boot up Dimension XPS Gen 4

I just purchased a new Visiontek 2600 video card via Dell's recommended hardware upgrade function, based upon my service tag.  My PC is a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4.  4 Gig of Ram.  Never had a problem until the video card was replaced.  Sent back the first card, and 2nd one is doing the exact same thing.

(So please do not close out this discussion, as this is the video card I was recommended from Dell as a valid working piece of hardware)

About 1 every 5 time's I turn on the machine, I'm getting the following message:

I/O card parity interrupt at Letter/Numbers Type (S)hutoff NMI (R)eboot, other keys continue.

Typing S,R or any key does nothing.  I then power off my PC, and turn back on, and the machine boots fine.  Sometimes if I boot up with the monitor off,  then turn on after a few seconds after power on my chances are 1 in every 8 times.  I've updated the BIOS to the latest for this machine, and changed some settings.  I've found that a reboot rarely causes this issue.  It's almost like the video card needs all the power it can get at bootup.  Changing to the slower bootup otpion let's me get by abouyt 1 in 6 bootups.    I've read that several machines have had more recent BIOS upgrades, that have resolved the problem. Unfortunately, the latest BIOS upgrade is a year + old.  Everything I have read in regards to this error, the machine in question is ALWAYS a DELL branded machine.  Not feeling very comfortable with the additional power up and down routines that is required for a clean boot.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  DELL please address this issue, as it seems to be a common issue among DELL owners who upgrade video cards.  Remember, this was the video card that was recommended by DELL's upgrade by service tag function.

Thank you for your help,

Bryan

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2008 16:00

First, this is not a "direct line to Dell"  this is a (mostly non-Dell employee) users helping users forum.  If you have an issue with what Dell sold you, you need to take it up with Dell customer service or whatever department that sold you the device. 

It really sounds like you may have received a defective Video card, either it was defective initially or how you handled it during installation (boards have static sensitive components on them and must only be handled by the card edges only to avoid potential problems).

Two suggestions. (1) Reseat the card - with the PC powered off, remove the card then reinstall making sure it's fully and correctly seated. and (2) download and install the latest drivers, HERE

You don't need to purchase from Dell, most purchase "after market" components elsewhere - places such as www.newegg.com   www.compusa.com etc.  Prices, selection and service are usually better.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 19:00

The card is not defective, and I've worked with electrostatic sensitive equipment for many years.  Yes, I did wear my grounded wrist band.  To the rest of the forum community, I'm looking for you help... Not Dell's.  They have no interest in assisting me.  I'm only pointing out that the hardware that I purchased was a recommended upgrade piece by Dell.  I'm very familiar with Newegg and Compusa, as well as the wonderful Microcenter which is less than 2 blocks from my house in PA.  I highly doubt that the 2nd unit I received was defective.  Re-seating the card, as well as other PCI devices,  memory, downloading the latest drivers and updating the BIOS for this machine are all READILY available ideas via a basic GOOGLE search. Thanks for nothing sir.  So again, to the rest of the community, please feel free to share your thoughts in regards to the above issue.  A search on the error message definitely reveals a large number of our Dell brothers are having the same problem.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2008 03:00

Sorry I responded.  With an attitude like that I doubt that any of the regulars will even touch this.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 05:00

Really not looking for someone's help who was in the industry before I was born, nor who responds with the above attitude himself.

Funny, Jack.. How I worked for the Department of Defense out in Mechanicsburg PA, in the combat support / computing services group.

And based upon your canned response, I highly doubt you even read my request anyhow, nor did any research prior to responding.

From your message above, it does not sound as if you have confidence in the "regulars" to help with this anyhow.

It seems as though it is an issue that only DELL will be able to handle.. Not someone of your job history, spanning back to tubes..

3 Posts

October 15th, 2009 04:00

Seems that thread went a bit awry!

Anyhow hopefully this will help even though this thread is quite old now.

I have recently been upgrading four Dell GX620 machines with an ATI HD3450 dual video card.  I came across the
same problem on two of the four machine - which was odd - I have searched google for an answer but non was found.
I compared hardware and BIOS of Dell equipment but there was no difference - so how could 2 work and 2 not?
Battling on I ended up pulling the power, removing the battery backup and jumpering the RTSCRST on the motherboard to wipe all BIOS configs.  After re-applying power the BIOS was reset as date/time was not set.   Since this, the fault has gone away. 
So for whatever reason this occurs, it seems it can be overcome by resetting the BIOS.  A BIOS upgrade did/does NOT fix the issue.  Loading BIOS defaults did/does NOT fix the issue.

Did you ever get your problem resolved?

JB

2 Posts

October 17th, 2012 16:00

Having a similar issue my msg is I/0 card parity interrupt at F000:F188 Type (S)hutoff NMI (R)eboot, other keys continue. my PC will not go past the POST.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 21:00

I've recently upgraded my (archaic) Optiplex GX620 with an ATI HD2400 and now I'm receiving the same response with about the same results.  I believe the cause is from the add-in Video Card and the On-Board Video Card are attempting the grab the same Interrupt PRIOR to POST and reserve the SAME IRQ.

The intermittent fails are a result of the warp dimensions in the Time/Space continuum when they both power-up at the same time and reserve the appropriate alternate IRQ's ALSO at the same time.

I hope a BIOS reset will have the same result for mine.

No Events found!