Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2010 19:00

I am upgrading my Comp

I'm currently running a Dell Dimension 8400.

With a 3.4ghz processor and upgraded 2gb DDR2 Ram (2x1gb)

My video card is a ATI Radeon X300 series..

When I play The Sims 3. It will lock up and then go back to my desktop and the display will be all distorted and it says the display driver has stopped working please restart your computer.. That type of thing .

So I decided to upgrade video cards using Dells thing that tells you what's compatible w/ your service tag. and ran across this.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Video_Cards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2418163&mfgpid=166540&chassisid=8224

If I decide to buy this, will I need to buy an extra fan or power supply or something? any help would be appreciated ;)

February 17th, 2010 20:00

I will do that.

2 more questions if you don't mind. I'm using the standard case and its like sitting in the bottom of the computer desk.. It does get a little dusty.. Will I have overheating problems?

And when I start up the computer it always beeps and says system voltage is running low.. Help? lol

1.7K Posts

February 17th, 2010 20:00

You should be fine with everything you have.  You don't need to buy an extra fan or power supply.  Just make sure you thoroughly uninstall the ATI driver and software when changing over to an Nvidia card by following the steps at the top of the video forums for card installation. 

1.7K Posts

February 18th, 2010 05:00

I generally have to clean out my computer once every 3 - 4 months with a can of compressed air due to dust accumulation.  As long as there is a couple of inches of room on all sides of the computer and you never shut the door while it's running if you have one you should be OK.  Also, cut the back out on the computer desk behind the computer if it is closed in or just has a small opening to give it more breathing room.  It is best to leave them out in the open though but that is not always convenient.

Have you ever replaced your CMOS battery?  Sometimes doing this will do the trick with your voltage issue.

No Events found!