Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2010 22:00

I downloaded the new Dell Support Center, Downloaded a firmware update for my DVD Drive, and...

Hi all!

The firmware download hung up for a half hour and I couldn't do anything for a half hour.  So then I did the stupidest thing ever:  I ended the task with a ctrl-alt-delete.  Now my computer doesn't see my dvd-rw drive.  I think I made it a doorstop.  Please help!  I went to a prior restore point five days ago and the computer still doesn't see the drive.

I'm a little miffed that the suggested firmware download didn't work and hanged.  I was trying to do something positive.  How do I get the proper firmware into my now dead drive if that it the problem?

Inspiron 530 Desktop

Vista Home Prem

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 11th, 2010 04:00

Hi Skipmebden,

Do you see the drive in the BIOS? Also, you did not mention the model of your Dell.

14.4K Posts

December 11th, 2010 07:00

A firmware update on a drive is the same as a bios update. It will rewrite the program that is on the drive that controls how it operates and communicates with the operating system.

Much like a bad bios update a bad firmware flash will render a driver useless. Your only option at that point would be to get a new drive.

This is one reason firmware updates like bios updates should not be taken lightly and only really done if the update address a issue you are seeing with your equipment.

2 Posts

December 11th, 2010 09:00

Your last statement, DaveT, is something I'll take to heart.  The two responses I've had to my question were excellent gentlemen!  As I closed everything down last night at 3AM, frustrated at what I'd done, I decided to do a cold boot -- a full shutdown, then restart.  When I woke up this am, flashing from my system tray was my dvd drive description saying that the new driver software was successfully installed.  Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What might have happened was the firmware update might have hung up on its own download instead of when it was actually changing the BIOS (firmware.)

My wife is out of town and this AM by phone I told her what I had done to her main computer last night.  I'll now call her back with the good news!!

This is a great place to come for advice.  Thanks again gentlemen for your generosity!

Scott M

No Events found!