Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2010 15:00

I have a dell dimensions xps gen 5 and want to upgrade the usb ports on the front is this possible

I bought myself 1 of the few usb 3.0 external hard drives that is currently available and it came with a pci express card to upgrade usb 2.0 ports to usb 3.0 ports I would like to upgrade the 2 on the front of my system the thing that is making me unsure if this is possible is in the same area that the usb ports are on the front of my system there is also a firewire port and  microphone and headphone jacks so as those 3 components reside in around the same area as the 2 usb ports I want to upgrade would that prevent me from being able to upgrade them.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 4th, 2010 18:00

I'm guessing the PCI-e card that came with the hard drive has its own USB3 ports to connect the drive. I doubt it upgraded any exisiting USB2 ports to USB3.

And since USB3 uses a different plug, you can't upgrade the existing USB2 ports to USB3.. USB3 ports are backwardly compatible with USB2 devices. But even if you connect a USB2 device to a USB3 port, all you get is USB2.

Ron

No Events found!