Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2008 11:00

I've followed the blinking amber light posts

I have followed the blinking amber light posts, but could use some additional help.  I replaced the power supply on my Dimension 8400 and it still will not power up.  According to the posts I have read, the next steps are check the I/O panel, then the motherboard.  Gotta question...If I plug the power supply directly into an electrical outlet, (not attached to anything in the cabinet) I would think the fan or something in the power supply would fire up.  I'm trying to determine whether I have another bad power supply before I start messing with other components.  Any suggestions?  Many thanks - DS

14.4K Posts

September 29th, 2008 11:00

Yes you can try that but it will not really tell you if the outputs are good.

The best way is to plug it into the motherboard. Remove all card, and ram, Leave the power connected to the harddrive and opticals.

Press the power button. If the system fans spin up and you can hear the drives spinning up then the issue will be a bad motherboard.

5.8K Posts

September 29th, 2008 13:00

Most PSUs need a minimum load to operate and if you don't connect any load they may not function at all.  You can try connecting one HD to the PSU to provide that load.  You will also need to manually tell the PSU to start by connecting the green to black pins on the motherboard PSU connector.

As Davet50 said, this test doesn't prove the PSU works even if the HD and PSU fan spin up.  However, if nothing spins up, it can prove that it is bad.

Peter

6 Posts

September 30th, 2008 01:00

Ok - I pulled the cards and the RAM with the PSU attached to the hard drive and it fired up.  I pulled the new PSU and put in my original and it fired up also.  So, I reseated the cards and the RAM and got the amber light again when I tried to power up.  I guess I'll order a motherboard and see what happens.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll let you know if the motherboard is the cure.  DS

3.4K Posts

September 30th, 2008 01:00

Hello,

Just a thought.

6 Posts

October 6th, 2008 15:00

It turned out to be a bad video card.  I replaced it and all is well again.  Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.  They helped get me to the end result. 

regards,

dennis

No Events found!