Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2016 10:00

INSPIRON 20 All In One - Black Screen When Powering On

I have a Inspiron 20 Model 3048.  The machine was wiped completely clean.  I wanted to install Windows 10 on it.  When powering up, the DOS screen came up with the option of proceeding to Windows 10 because it was installed on there before it was wiped clean.  One of the other options on the screen at that time was pressing the F8 button for other selections.  I pressed F8 and the screen went completely black and has been that way ever since.  When I re-power on there is no Dell logo anymore and the F2, F8 and F12 buttons don't do anything.  There's really nothing wrong with the hardware; everything was working okay prior to pressing the F8 button.  The power-on LED light is white.  There are no beeps.  The fan is running.  The CPU light flashes.  Optical disc drive opens.  I've pressed the brightness control buttons on the monitor and it does light up the screen in various colors which it cycles through, so there's nothing wrong with the monitor.  I removed the button cell battery and ram and then re-installed them twelve hours later.  The same thing happens:  a blank screen.  I'm at a loss at what to do.  This thing is getting to where it will be a doorstop.  I can't do anything if nothing ever appears on the screen.  Please help.  Lenny

August 20th, 2016 15:00

New Information:

Pressing the F8 key had nothing to do with it.

I have now found a way to get the screen to show the Dell logo and the BIOS menu:

With button cell memory battery removed, unplug computer from electrical outlet and plug back in.  The computer then powers on once, then off, then on again, then off, the on again the third time and stays on.  I then manually power off using the on/off button.  When it starts up I begin pressing the F2 key.  It starts up showing the Dell logo and bios menu.  

I don't know what to do from here.  I don't see anything available that can resolve the problem even if I now can get to and see the bios menu.  Keep in mind, the button cell battery has to be out of the machine for this to occur.  It will not happen if the battery is in.  

August 29th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for all the inputs.  I managed to get into the Bios menu by performing the following:  removing the CMOS battery and unplugging the computer from the AC outlet; and then plugging it back in.  It took several repeated tries of doing this and pressing the F2 key.  Finally, I got the menu and changed the booting option to the USB flash drive that I had Windows 10 installed on.  After getting Windows 10 installed I reinstalled the CMOS battery and flashed the BIOS with the latest version.  I then powered down normally and powered up normally and it booted up with no problem.  

Conclusion:  Something happened that corrupted the BIOS data originally and it was freak trial and error with the battery removed and repeatedly unplugging the AC and powering back on again to finally get the thing to boot.  Lenny

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 26th, 2016 08:00

Warranty?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 26th, 2016 15:00

Was the power adapter unplugged when you removed the coin cell battery and left it for 12 hours?

Have you tried pressing the Display On/Off button, #18, right below the 2 brightness buttons (#19)?

If that button doesn't help...you have an HDMI-Out port on the rear of this system. If you have an external monitor that accepts HMDI video, you might try connecting it to the PC to see if that works. You might have to press the Display On/Off button to select an external monitor.

If that works, you may have an LCD panel problem. Back up your files on external media ASAP! If that doesn't work, it might be the video card.

Either way, if you're still under warranty, contact Tech Support for assistance

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 28th, 2016 01:00

Sounds like Windows 10 has booted to some standby state... By "wiped clean" did you attempt to Reset Windows 10? I assume you didn't securely erase the system using the likes of Diskpart or Parted Magic as there would be no Windows 10 boot options in they cases.

Power up the system without the RAM and SSD/HDD. Leave it for 5 minutes or so then power it down holding down the power button for a minute. Then try inserting the RAM modules and powering up. Do you see the Dell UEFI splash screen?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2016 07:00

Windows 10 doesn't support Dell OEM Intel Graphics and the Inspiron 20 is also an unsupported machine.

I've seen the black screen problem with Latitude Laptops as well it has to do with the INTEL Graphics driver not working. windows 10 logo, and then just a black screen.  The issue is that there aren't WHQL win10 Signed drivers for the intel Graphics.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-upgrade-on-my-dell-latitude-e6410-does/6ef4fc65-3086-4260-a3e5-2f18e1f3f4c2?page=2

One user got it working with a stand on your head and rub your stomach with voodoo doll install.

(for the Latitude e6410)!  Download the Intel graphics drivers from Dell, extract it with 7zip or something, edit the file Graphics\boa64.inf:

find the section [Manufacturer] and change the following:

%Intel%   = IntelGfx, NTamd64.5.1, NTamd64.6.0, NTamd64.6.2

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.5.1]
; no install on XP

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.2]
; no install on Win8

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0]

to:

%Intel%   = IntelGfx, NTamd64

[IntelGfx.NTamd64]

Go to Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, click "Restart Now" under Advanced startup;

Choose Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Startup Settings, click "Restart";

Hit "7" (or whatever number says "Disable driver signature enforcement";

Go to Device Manager (can be found in Control Panel), Expand "Display adapters" and right click on "Intel(R) HD Graphics" (or whatever it's calling your video card), and click "Update Driver Software";

Click "Browse my computer for driver software", click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer";

Click "Have Disk" and browse to (where ever you extracted the drivers from Dell)\Graphics ;

Pick Intel(R) HD Graphics and click "Next"

This should install the drivers and make your laptop display work.  You may have to disable automatic driver updates if you have trouble in the future.  You can find instructions on how to do that by "Google-ing" it.

No Events found!