Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

October 31st, 2008 01:00

INSPIRON 530 Vista - Audio upgrade HELP!!!

I just spent 45 min on the phone with DELL asking WHAT sound card would be compatible with my Vista computer (specs below).  Factory install was Realtek (RealJOKE more like it .. the sound works, BARELY) .. and I'm wanting a Sound Blaster.  My old XP had an external, but I'd really like an internal with VISTA, as I do internet DJing on the weekends and need the SOUND MIXER to use with WINAMP and my headset (what you hear, MIDI etc., options Vista doesn't come with).  The DELL dude recommended a $158.99 Soundblaster and surround sound - nonsense. 

Now I'm asking someone in the forums for their opinion.  I just need to know (2) things:

1.  What Soundblaster is compatible with MY Vista computer (listed below).

2.  Can I purchase it from DELL?

Thanks, you guys make this easier.

~ Em

SPEX:

Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB)
w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache
6GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2X2GB+2X1GB
640GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ DataBurst Cache
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition English

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 31st, 2008 09:00

Any SoundBlaster, from the inexpensive Audigy SE ($30 at Wal-Mart) to the high end Xfi series is compatible.  However, except for the one model SoundBlaster Xfi that has a separate I/O console CLICK ME  ANY aftermarket sound card you install will disable the front panel headphone and mic jacks, which are on a Dell proprietary and undocumented connetor to the motherboard.

On Dell systems that are initially ordered with the optional Xfi card, they have factory wiring harnesses (cables) that will connect the Xfi card to those jacks.  Check with Dell spare parts and see if the needed cabling is available for aftermarket use. 

A side note, it's not just Dell with the Integrated Audio and no system mixer, I recently (about a month ago) installed a new HP desktop and it too does not have the "system mixer" option.

On SOME systems you can get the system mixer (what you hear) option enabled.  There are no guarantees but try this (was posted by a user in the XPS Desktop forum section):

"Went into Control Panel's "Sound" then "Recording" Right hand click in a blank space and check "Show Disabled Devices" Then click properties and under Device Usage click "Use this device"

6 Posts

October 31st, 2008 10:00

Thank you.  I just placed my order with Dell for the Audigy. 

Yes, I had read the other post about clicking the audio box to show "disabled" and had tried that as well.  No such luck for me, but I hope it helps someone else.

Happy Halloween!

~ Em

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 31st, 2008 12:00

Good luck on getting the needed Dell cables.  I've seen many on here that have ordered "aftermarket" parts and it turns out it's just the Retail card, nothing else.
No Events found!