Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2011 04:00

Identifying the chipset inside a Dell XPS 630i

I have  what I thought would be an extremely simple question but unfortunately the answers have turned out to be the most elusive of my life.

I would like to find out what my Intel chipset is without opening up my computer.

I have an XPS 630i and it runs Q6600 processors. Hard to believe but I purchased this machine in May 2008 and already it's becoming outdated.

Can anyone help?

Note: I checked the Intel site and their chipset utility only works on 32 bit OSs. When I read that I was shocked. This is Intel after all.

mcfari

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2011 05:00

Hi mcfari,

Your manual has the specs. Click Support above, then manuals under product support. Then enter your model info and you're all set. I'd tell you that you have an NVIDIA® nForce 650i SLI chipset, but then you'd miss out on the joy of discovery.

Hope that wasn't too elusive! :emotion-5:

14.4K Posts

April 17th, 2011 06:00

Another rule to remember is even though it is an Intel chipset, Dell has modified the bios to only allow what they feel is important and stable specs to run Dell hardware.  What this means in quick terms is if  the Intel chip specs says the chipset can run X processor, Dell may have crippled the chipset to not be able to run X processor.

21 Posts

April 21st, 2011 17:00

Thanks for the tip Dave!

mcfari

21 Posts

April 21st, 2011 17:00

Osprey, thanks so much for this information. I actually wanted it to find out if the Intel Rapid Storage Drivers were compatible with my computer because I was trying to solve an issue with the full capacity of my 3TB hard drive not being recognized. In the end I found another solution but the infromation you gave me is still amazingly useful.  I am sure that I can utilize it in some other capacity. (Note: Given that this is an NVIDIA nForce chipset, I am not even certain that the Intel Rapid Storage Drivers would have worked anyway!)

I loooooove the internet. :-P

mcfari

3 Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

wow. that was 6 years old..... sorry

3 Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

look at your components list from dell. it should be here in your profile for your machine. there is another number besides nvidia 650i .  Something like this "  Intel DG43NB | Chipset: G43 Form Factor: ATX  "

Good luck.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 16th, 2017 12:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.

No Events found!