Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2015 19:00

Inspirion 3847 Video card issue

After calling Dell over an issue/s with my 3847, they replaced the motherboard & hard drive. Thank you Dell for the excellent service. After the tech left, I tried to re-install the video card card which was previous in the PC, GeForce 620. The card ran perfect before and now the new motherboard will not recognize it at all.

1) I have removed secure boot.

2) tested the card on another machine and it works

3) enabled CSM legacy mode

and still nothing.......

Any thoughts on what I am missing? This is a new MB and HD from Dell, the fans on the card are running and the lights are on, but no video on the card. The only video i have is the on-board video.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 14th, 2015 08:00

You have a poor quality card and or its not going all the way into the slot and or its not compatible with PCI-E 3.0 as it should be.

I have used Geforce 720,740, 750 TI without issue in CSM mode.

6 Posts

March 15th, 2015 14:00

Great suggestions. The card is a Asus GTX 750 Ti. The card functions in other desktops fine and I encounter no issues. In the 3847 I placed a very old XFX 6800 gtx card and it is functioning fine, dual monitors, increased frame rates...etc over the on board video. ( I put this card in to check the slot, and the slot is working...) 

What is the difference between the two cards, since we know the slot functions fine with the 6800? The 750 Ti has a secondary power hookup, while the 6800 gtx does not. Does the 750 Ti have to have the secondary power hookup to function? This, other than age between the two cards the hookup is the only difference. (yes, speed and memory size etc.... but physical differences :) ) 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim  

No Events found!