Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2015 20:00

Inspirion 530 to Windows 10?

Hi -

Please help me understand ... in the simple language of the senior generation!

I have an Inspirion 530 with Windows 7, and want to know if the system is too old to upgrade to Windows 8.1, or 10 when it's available? 

If it's too old, will it be compatible with a new Windows device running 8.1/10?

If it's okay to upgrade, will anything else need to be done?

Many thanks,

Nextstop60

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 26th, 2015 23:00

Hi Nextstop60,

Dell Inspiron 530 has not been tested for Windows 8 or 8.1 or 10 operating system you will not find specifically designed drivers for it. However you can use the Windows vista operating system drivers and install it on compatibility mode when complete version of Windows 10 is released.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 27th, 2015 09:00

I have an Inspirion 530 with Windows 7, and want to know if the system is too old to upgrade to Windows 8.1, or 10 when it's available? 

It will certainly run Windows 8.1 32-bit, and possibly the 64-bit version. The 530s' hardware is standard Intel and Realtek, and all needed drivers are readily available.

Windows 8.1 will be supported until around 2023.

30 Posts

May 27th, 2015 10:00

It looks like the Inspiron 530 is a Pentium Dual-core machine with DDR2

When anyone brings me a broken computer, I find that anything with those specs is usually worth repairing/upgrading, as you can usually get 3+ years out of it cheaper than anything you would buy in the store.

I am presently running windows 10 Technical preview on an optiplex 745 of similar specs, (Core 2 Duo, dual-core CPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, PCI-E video card)

It looks like $60 (USD) will get you 2x 2GB kits, for a total of 4 sticks @1GB each. I would highly recommend doing so if you plan to put Windows 10 on this machine.

In short:
If this computer is performing well now;
You are not running out of HDD space;
And you want to keep using this computer for at least 3 more years;
Upgrade it to 4GB of RAM and install windows 10 when it becomes available.

Also: Windows 10 tech preview gets along just fine with all my Windows 7 desktops. To use multiple computers you will NEED a router, to share your internet connection. Your Cable or DSL modem may or may not already have this functionality, check with your provider. if your modem does NOT have router functionality, you will need a broadband router. (I like Netgear and despise Belkin/Linksys products, if you want my opinion)

(MS has indicated that windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all individual users with genuine Windows 7/8/8.1 licenses)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 27th, 2015 13:00

This was one of the last Windows Vista systems and is a Desktop so has plenty enough power. It will run Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 64 Bit. Use these drivers if they aren't inbuilt:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/unofficial-driver-sets/inspiron-desktops/inspiron-530-windows-7-64-bit/

5.2K Posts

May 27th, 2015 15:00

I run 32-bit Win 8.1 on a D9100 with only a single core CPU (with the fabulous HT function; HT means hardly there!!). It runs fine, but is not the machine for newer games. There are lagtimes when laumching programs, but it is not terrible. This is my shop PC and fine for internet use, office apps and Suduko. I will upgrade to Win 10.

Don't worry about drivers with Win 10. It will load basic drivers for whatever hardware you have unless it's real old. Video boards, printers and some others may need advanced drivers from the hardware manufacturer.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 27th, 2015 15:00

If you upgrade to Win 8.1 you're going to need to buy a software license for it.

The Win 10 Insider Preview is free and should allow you to update to the final version of Win 10 later this summer, also free. Though one can never be exactly sure what Microsoft will do...

So Win 10 might be a better (eg, less expensive) upgrade. Win 10 is still a little buggy, but so are all the earlier versions of Windows, even years after they were launched.

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2015 12:00

I recently installed Windows 10 and my Inspiron 530 do not stay in a sleep mode.  It wake up by itself.  I don't know what is waking it up.

Thanks for the help

1 Message

May 1st, 2016 19:00

Will Windows 10 run OK on the 32 bit system without problems... I have 4 gb ram and have a Soundblaster Xfi Extreme gamer soundcard and these are notorious for being difficult. Can they run on windows 10?

Thanks.

I have been running on Vista for years recently tried 7 and it caused all sorts of problems with the sound blaster card. I had to reinstall Vista from scratch to get my sound back, so don't know whether I should try again while I am still eligible to upgrade to 10.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 1st, 2016 20:00

Vista doesn't qualify for a free 10 upgrade. You'll need to upgrade to 7, 8 or 8.1 first, or buy a new 10 license.

No Events found!