Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2013 09:00

Inspirion 531 USB Over Current device detected

This is an unusal case.  I have a friend that bought this computer brand new many years ago and never opened the box.  She decided to set it up this weekend and it has this USB over current error.  Goes into a reboot loop etc. 

After doing some research, I unhooked the front panel USB ports from the M/B. It seemed to work just fine until I moved the unit and plugged it back in.  Same error.  I cannot believe this thing have a bad M/B since it is an old brand new machine. 

Anyone have any ideas I can try?  When I had it running, I did do the BIOS update, updated the O/S etc. 

Rob 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 12th, 2013 16:00

Dead motherboard battery, if it sat unused for years...??

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 12th, 2013 17:00

:emotion-21:

Please mark this thread as answered.

Thanks.

1.5K Posts

April 12th, 2013 13:00

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the community.

Kindly check the system with all the peripherals disconnected. Make sure only keyboard,mouse and monitor is connected to the system.

Also, Press F2 at the start up to enter BIOS. Please check if the system reboots on this screen as well.

Kindly let us know the windows version installed on the system so we can provide you the Chipset drivers to update.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

April 12th, 2013 16:00

I think that's exactly what it is.  I just replaced and it's been running properly.  Fingers crossed

1.5K Posts

April 16th, 2013 14:00

Hi Rob,

Its great to hear that issue with the system has been resolved to your satisfaction. If you have any queries in future feel free to contacts us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

No Events found!