Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2009 14:00

Inspirion 537 ST "Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio"...but no speaker jacks???

Hi gang,

Just bought the 537 to replace an older 'puter for my wife.  Best I can tell, there's no way to hook up her Dell 5.1 speaker system, which requires 3 jacks; one for the front speaker pair, one for the rear pair, and one for the center subwoofer.  I think that's pretty standard.  I've never seen 'em any other way. 

This thing, though, has 3 jacks on the rear, but one's a mic in (pink), then a green and a blue jack, which I'm guessing are a stereo line in and out (not sure which is which, though).  I can't even see evidence of a sound card.  Silly me, but I thought "Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio" meant I could use her existing 5.1 Dell speaker system with this machine. What could I have been thinkin'?

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm new to the community, glad to be with you but not real pleased at the problem that brought me here.  After an hour and a half on the phone with what USED to be Dell Support, being bounced to 4 different people (not one of whom could even seem to understand the nature of the problem), then ultimately getting cut off when I DID finally reach someone who might've been able to help...well, let's just say that, at the moment, I'm regretting every one of those twelve thousand or so dollars I've spent with this company over the last 10 years.  (Okay, off my soapbox now.)  If anyone has any ideas, I'd be terribly, sincerely grateful. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

HERE is the Dell Manual (there is one on the PC). According to the manual there IS 5.1 speaker connections.  The colors are not the same as older PC's.  Looks like Black (L/R Rear), Silver (L/R Side) and Orange (Center/Low Freq Woofer).

While you can (you have 21 days from the date on the invoice) you may want to reconsider the purchase.  The "S" or "ST" models are severly limited on upgrading, they can only use "low profile" expansion cards (limited availability), special Power supply (can't use standard ATX power supply), etc.  The 537MT or some other "full size" PC would have been more flexible.

3 Posts

Thanks for the reply, fireberd.  I saw that, too, in the little "quick start" manual that came with it.  Trouble is, mine HAS no black, silver, or orange jacks.  That little qs manual shows 5 jacks in a "U" shaped arrangement. 

This one has only the 3 that I mentioned, those that make up the bottom of the "U".

Thanks for the try, but color me still baffled.  (ehh...ain't the first time, won't be the last...)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 17:00

Like I said, I would exercise the Dell 21 day return period and get a return authorization and return it and get a different model like a 537MT.  Very few options to add a sound card that is 5.1.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2009 01:00

Fireberd, thanks for your advice.  It's plain ol' GOOD advice, and I'm takin' it.  Your help is appreciated. 

Meanwhile, after literally 4 hours on the phone with Dell Support, both in Customer Care and in Tech Support, I've yet to find anyone who can understand exactly why "Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio Support", a Dell 5.1 Audio 5-speaker system with 3 plugs, and a new computer (supposedly equipped with that support) that has just one input jack for speakers could even be a problem.  AARRRGGHH!

They're gettin' this puppy back.  Thanks again, fireberd.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2009 06:00

TronHQ - good luck with your quest for "workable" PC.

1 Message

October 7th, 2011 05:00

Hello,

sorry, to be the first reply to a very old post. I have a similar problem and wanted to check if you resolved your problem.

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 620s ST, which as per the specifications, has an "Integrated 5.1 channel audio". I cant see a trace of any 5.1 channel sound card on the rear of the tower.

There are three cables with 3.5 mm connectors, coming from the 5.1 system. One for Right speaker pair, one for Rear speaker pair and one for Center/Subwoofer. Not sure where to hook up these three, cant find the correct jacks.

Cant get any help from Dell technical support.

I see 3 jacks on the rear, Line-in , line-out and Mic-in . But cant see the standard Rear-out and Center/Subwoofer-out jacks, which is a standard for Integrated 5.1 cards on computers.

Can you please let me know your thoughts around this.

Thanks, Roy

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 7th, 2011 07:00

Looking at the Dell manual for your 620S, it only has a stereo analog connection (one output jack) for speakers.  

This is a users helping users forum, we are not Dell employees.  If your purpose is to contact Dell you will have to do it some other way.    

If you want 5.1 audio you will have to either return it for a different model that does have this or install a PCIeX1 (low profile) audio card that supports it.

No Events found!