Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2014 19:00

Inspirion One 2320 - All In One No Displayed Image. Works with external monitor.

System works as it should when connected to an external monitor. I am using it to type this. The built in touch screen shows no image but does light up and stay lit. It is just plain white. I took it to a local computer guy who was unable to diagnose it. He said he changed the LCD cable I believe. I updated all of the video drivers.

Is the monitor shot? 

If I need to replace the screen could I just purchase a nontouch screen that is much more affordable and replace it with that?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 20th, 2014 13:00

I actually gave you a link to the manual in my last post, but got broken in that post so try this link.

Instructions to remove the touch control panel, display assembly and then the display panel start on page 105.

20 Posts

December 18th, 2014 17:00

Bump for more eyes please.  

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 18th, 2014 17:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts.

Does the Windows Display screen (exact screen may vary with version of Windows) recognize the internal monitor (obviously you'll need the external monitor to see that screen)? And is it set to correct resolution, etc. for internal display? Is that screen set to share or extend the desktop with both screens?

Look in Device Manager for Monitor listing. Is the internal display seen there and not marked as disabled?

What happens if you boot in Safe Mode?

Have you run video diagnostics from the F12 menu?

20 Posts

December 18th, 2014 18:00

Thanks Ron.

It is Windows 7.

Yes, when I right click the background>screen resolution It recognizes both monitors. It is set to duplicate and switches to extend them when that option is selected.

In device manager there are two listings. "Acer P241W" and " Generic PnP Monitor" Both drivers are updated.

PC boots fine in safe mode but nothing changes with the monitor.

I have not run diagnostics from F12 menu. I assume you mean to restart and tap F12 on restart and select a video diagnostics option?

Edit: I just did. All tests passed and no issues found.

Thanks again.

20 Posts

December 19th, 2014 10:00

I ran the diagnostics test listed in the F12 menu and all of the tests passed. Video card was one of them. Is there a separate test for internal monitor only?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 19th, 2014 10:00

Edit: I just did. All tests passed and no issues found.

Are you saying the internal monitor passed all video tests?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 19th, 2014 11:00

Did all the various colored screens and test patterns show up on the internal monitor, or only on the external monitor?

20 Posts

December 19th, 2014 12:00

I may not be doing the correct test. I entered F12 and selected diagnostics. There was no video diagnostics option. Video card was on of the items on the list on the left that was checked and no problems were found.

When running that test the screen did not change.

Edit: While waiting I ran the video test found here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/JND1BQ1/diagnose/showresults/JND1BQ1FB5A03AE53224AE18175EC62D25A0F3B

It did not recognize the built in monitor and ran it on the external one. The internal screen is not responsive and only stays lit up white. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 19th, 2014 18:00

It's sounding like the internal LCD failed.

But before you make that final conclusion, you might want to try repairing Windows. Back up your personal files on external media, first just to be safe. :emotion-5:

Then reboot and press F8. Look for the option to repair Win 7. It might be on an advanced options screen. Have your Dell Windows 7 DVD handy in case it's requested.

And if the repair doesn't fix it...  [:'(] 

20 Posts

December 19th, 2014 19:00

That's what I'm thinking too. Ugh......

If that is indeed the case it isn't worth it to replace with another touch screen. Could I just buy a compatible regular 23" screen replacement and switch them out with no major issues and just not have touch screen?

Is it a fairly straightforward process? I'm not finding instructions or a video online like usual. I have switched out several lcd's on laptops before, just don't know if the new one not being touchscreen would mean there are certain connections I would need to leave unconnected. 

Thanks again for all of your help.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

I presume you're not under warranty any more....

First thing you'd have to figure out is if this is a customized LCD panel. You might want to call Dell Spare Parts to see how much it costs for this touch LCD panel, and for non-touch. Have your service tag handy when you call them.

1-800-357-3355
Mon–Fri 7 a.m.–9 p.m. CST
Sat & Sun 8 a.m.–6 p.m. CST

And check out the manual to see if this is something you can do yourself or if you have to take it to a shop. There's a  touch-screen control panel that probably needs to be removed if you install a non-touch LCD. .

It's annoying but can you just use it with the external monitor for a while, at least until you're ready to replace the system?

20 Posts

Thanks again. 

Yeah, I can just use it with an external monitor. If I can't replace it myself it isn't worth paying someone else to do it as the system itself sells for less than $275 on ebay right now, which is surprising for a 1TB i5 23" touchscreen with 6 gb ram :/

I will probably try to find a cheap used replacement panel and go from there. 

It is strange though that I can't find any instructions at all for replacing the LCD or about removing the touch control panel or if it is even neceessary. I've worked on dozens of computers and this is the first case of that. I thought the internets had everything :/

20 Posts

December 21st, 2014 12:00

Got it that time, thanks. I just bought this: DELL INSPIRON ONE 2320 LCD TOUCHSCREEN ASSEMBLY DIGITIZER BEZEL HOUSING

[View:www.ebay.com/.../221627243492]

And am going to switch it out so hopefully that will take care of it if it is a bad LCD.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 21st, 2014 16:00

Good luck. Hope that fixes it.

Post back and let us know what happens...

20 Posts

December 26th, 2014 13:00

Switched out and no response from new monitor. There is no light this time. System still works as it should when hooked to an external monitor. This time the new monitor is not recognized when running display options like the last one was. 

The convertor board (seen on page 48 of the manual here [View:ftp.dell.com/.../inspiron-one-2320_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf:550:0] )

Has a different connector than what attaches to the monitor under the power switch on the new monitor. It connected via a different 4 pin cable on the old monitor. In the image, the cord that attaches to the new screen is the white one connected. The one that worked on the old screen is shown as well for comparison.

Would this be causing no response from the monitor?

What does it do?

Is there an adapter to go from the 12 pin ribbon end under the power switch to the converter board's 4 pin opening?

1 Attachment

No Events found!