Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2009 06:00

Inspiron 1420 warranty problems

Hello everyone,

I have a DELL Inspiron 1420 laptop, bought in the States at the end of 2007 with a Rapid Response Depot warranty valid until 2009 september.

A few days ago something went wrong with the display or the GPU(?) and when I start the laptop the screen either stays black or shows the desktop but completely messed up with wrong colours and so distorted it is unable to read anything.The situation stays the same when connected to an external display.

The problem comes that now I live in Hungary and when I called the local Dell they told me that they are unable to have it repaired because this model cannot be purchased in Europe and they cannot order and provide parts for it. The assistant from the Dell Call Center told me that I need to send my laptop to the States on my own expense where they can repair it and send it back to me, also on my expense.

Can anyone help me with this?

Is this really the only way to go?

Thanks to everyone.

3.6K Posts

January 20th, 2009 06:00

Hello hesitater,

Yes unfortunately it is,if you purchased the system in the states,then it has to sent back to where it was purchased from to get support.The only way to get support out of the states is if you filled out the international ownership transfer form here,  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/international_ownership_transfer_form1?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&redirect=1  . Once filled out it takes a few days to go thru,and i am still not sure if the warranty would be excepted,but its worth a try.Just make sure you fill out the form for owner of product is moving from one country to a new country.

No Events found!