Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2017 16:00

Inspiron 20-3052, No startup after Dell Update

As with many others, I installed the Dell Support Assistant Update plugin as instructed on May 14, 2017.  Later that day, the Inspiron 20 3052  (service tag ) would not start, showing only an orange light.  When I contacted Support the next morning, I was told I would have to replace the motherboard at my expense, (warranty expired in Jan 2017) only there were none available, according to the rep that I spoke with.  Time was a factor, as was recovering the programs and data on my hard drive.  I am not a happy consumer to have to spend that much because of a problem that obviously created by the update.  

• 

370 Posts

May 19th, 2017 14:00

Dear Customers,

Dell is aware that a recent BIOS release (version 3.8.1) for the Inspiron 20 3052 All-in-One has caused some systems to fail to boot.  Dell has stopped the push of the affected BIOS version and urges impacted customers to contact Dell Tech Support or on Twitter @DellCares.

Thank you,

Dell Support Team

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 17th, 2017 11:00

If your files aren't backed up on external media, you have 2 choices to rescue your files, until Dell comes up with a fix for this problem.

1. Install the HDD from the 3052 in an external drive case that connects to another PC by USB, or

2. Install the HDD in another PC as a secondary drive to copy your files. Note: another PC will not boot

from the drive from the 3052, so it must be installed as a secondary drive.

May 17th, 2017 17:00

Thanks, that is basically what I was told on the phone to support, but until I get the computer working, I'm in limbo.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 17th, 2017 18:00

I hears ya, loud and clear...

Sorry you had this problem. I alerted my Dell tech contact as soon as I saw the first thread on this so they'd look into it and get started on finding a solution.

Don't work for Dell and have no inside info on what they're going to do.  Keep checking this thread and the others on this same topic so you don't miss out on any new updates...

No Events found!