Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2016 09:00

Inspiron 20 3052 - SATAP1 Cable for Drive Power?

I took advantage of the President's Day deal on this AIO last week to use as an Internet/Netflix box for my hobby room.  It's working just fine for surfing/streaming, but I'm considering upgrading it slightly.

Adding an 8GB RAM SODIMM should be a piece of cake, but when I checked to see if an HDD add would be possible, I'm discovering that Dell doesn't include the SATA power or data cables with the device.  The SATA data cable won't be a problem... standard connections there.  The SATA power cable, unfortunately, appears to use a proprietary connector into the MB (SATAP1 is how it's labelled... it looks like a small, 5-pin molex connector from what I understand).

Does anyone know whether it is possible to order just this one "SATAP1" cable to power an internal SATA SSD?

When I asked Dell Tech Support, the gentlemen said that all of their parts were available to be ordered, but I'm not seeing it anywhere on their website.

I'd also be willing to buy a 3rd party part, but does anyone know whether anyone makes this (or an adapter)?  

Appreciate any advice.

Gregg

8 Posts

March 1st, 2016 13:00

Cable arrived today, its what we needed. RHYYJ is the part # on my order. Straight connectors for the SATA and Power unlike VC6J3.  My MB did not come with the SATA Optical on it so that parts a waste.

17 Posts

February 17th, 2016 08:00

bump

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 17th, 2016 09:00

UncleDredd

Call Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-999-3355 and have the AIO "Service Tag" handy.

Bev.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2016 14:00

I called and the cable is $9.95 shipped. Kinda a ripoff but not much choice if you want to add a ssd to this thing. 32 GB is not enough. If I didn't only pay $177 plus tax for this AIO I would be ***.

Took then 15 minutes to look up part and said only an internal number exists and no part number available.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 18th, 2016 21:00

Primusx1      

Dell's parts are never cheap.

Bev.

17 Posts

February 19th, 2016 10:00

Here's the details of what the Dell Tech Support rep sent after I was transferred there from Spare Parts (because Spare Parts couldn't find the cable available):

Thank you for choosing Dell. This mail is related to your recent interaction with Dell technical support regarding your concern.

Part Number: PKNG4

Part Description: ASSY,CBL,HDD,NONE-ODD,19.5

Function Description: Assembly, Cable, HDD, NONE-ODD, 19.5

He transferred me back over to Spare Parts to use that Part Number, and I was told that it wasn't a Dell Part number, but actually a Manufacturer's Part Number.  They didn't know the Manufacturer... just the number.  And I was told by Sales that it wasn't something in stock.  :/

17 Posts

February 19th, 2016 10:00

Primusx1 - What internal part number did they give you?  What they gave me (PKNG4) was for an HDD Assembly with a cable included... but they say that it's not available for purchase at all... not in stock.

And I can't find it online anywhere else.

8 Posts

February 20th, 2016 01:00

They didn't or wouldn't give me a part number claiming it was internal or something. Cable should arrive in a few days and will post any manufacturer numbers on it. I'm not sure if it's just the power cable or a combined cable but have plenty of sata cables here. I didn't even bother trying for the hard drive mount, just gonna attach with Velcro tape or whatever.

17 Posts

February 20th, 2016 08:00

Minor Update for anyone following -

I was finally (4th call to Parts Sales this week) able to get to an agent (Sunil) who found the part I think I need.  This picture shows it as what he called a "Combo Cable" that handles the HDD and ODD - both data and power.  He's trying to identify the part number or some way to order it for me... but at least this guy knows what I'm talking about.

Update: Sunil was unable to locate the part number for what is highlighted in the picture.  Says he will call me back within the next 2 hours.  I'm hopeful, although I did not get the promised callback from yesterday, so I'm not holding my breath...

17 Posts

February 20th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for that. Looking forward to seeing what they send you!

17 Posts

February 20th, 2016 13:00

Latest update: Sunil emailed... they don't have the part.  It's recommended I call back after 2 weeks.

Holding out hope that you have good news when yours arrives, @Primusx1!

17 Posts

February 21st, 2016 10:00

Mine actually came with an ODD port... Interesting.

1 Attachment

8 Posts

February 21st, 2016 10:00

FYI, the SATA power connector is a 5 pin and they did not install the SATA connector for the optical, only the hard drive SATA is there. Also if you want to add a hdd you will either need to get the tray or just let it rattle around inside or attach some other way. Not too worried about securing the ssd since its not like I'm going to be walking around with this thing.

8 Posts

February 21st, 2016 11:00

Yeah, that really odd. 

17 Posts

February 26th, 2016 14:00

Hey Primus1 - any chance your cable has arrived from Dell yet?

No Events found!