Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2016 17:00

Inspiron 23 5348 SSD and pixel line

Hi folks,

Bought my 6yo son a Dell Inspiron 23 5348 about 1.5 years ago. 2 things...

1. The screen has a single pixel wide, solid dead line from the top to the bottom of the screen that's slightly annoying. It's definitely hardware since its there in the BIOS as well as in Windows. Is this usually the display screen itself or the interface card? Have 600 days left on warranty still and would like to order the correct part and get it replaced. Just not sure if its the screen or interface card I should request.
  2. Came with a 1G hard drive that's sloooooow! I've got a new Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD here I'd like to pop in however when I boot I'm asked to select F1, F2 or F5. Pushing F2 for setup does in fact show that the bios sees the SSD but I cant set any boot order. Any tips on what I need to do to get the SSD drive to be seen?

Thank for any suggestions.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2016 09:00

It's almost certainly the screen that needs to be replaced.  Hold the D key through bootup (or enter Setup) and see if the fault still shows.  If it does, call and have a warranty replacement of the screen schedules (this is not a do it yourself repair - you'll either have a home repair scheduled if the system was upgraded to an onsite service warranty, or they'll send you a box in which to ship back the system to a repair depot if it's got a basic depot-repair warranty.

Have you installed Windows on the replacement drive?

\

9 Posts

Yeah I figured it was a bad screen. I have no issues ordering a new one through warranty and doing it myself. I have the Complete Care warranty until the end of 2018 and have never had issues with Dell simply sending me replacement parts.

Nope.. haven't installed windows on the drive since it will not boot from anything but the OEM hard drive. I've put in bootable CDs and it doesn't boot from them either. From within the BIOS the system sees the sata SSD and optical drives but under the boot settings there is no way to set them to boot. Even hitting F12 during boot doesn't allow me to select anything else to boot from.

Never seen anything like it before. Its a brand new SSD drive that I simply wanted to installed, insert a new Windows 8.1 CD, boot and install but the BIOS will not allow it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Secure boot must be turned OFF in order to boot other than the hard drive, and you should do the install from a UEFI-enabled flash drive rather than optical media.  UEFI systems will not boot from non-UEFI media -- which is why you're having trouble.  If your plan is to keep both drive, REMOVE the original drive from the system while you install Windows onto the new one - once the installation is complete, you can reinstall the hard drive in the system.

As for replacing the screen, it's not a trivial process -- and if you manage to damage the screen or system when you do the installation, you'll be on the hook for the cost of the parts.  Leave the warranty repair to Dell.  This is not a conventional desktop - it's a notebook system without a battery internally.  Replacing the display panel in these requires a complete system tear-down - literally everything inside the system has to come out before you can get to the screen to replace it.  

9 Posts

November 13th, 2016 20:00

I disabled Secure Boot the other night though not sure if I had UEFI enabled or disabled. Didn't have a chance to play tonight but should tomorrow. I am NOT planning to keep the OEM drive and aside from a couple text files I'm keeping off it there is nothing I need off it. New install to the SSD and that's all the system needs. I have a 72TB file server in a basement rack so I can always setup a CIFS and iSCSI share if needed for him.

I've never installed Windows from a flash drive. I have a MS Windows 8.1 CD and I've always simply installed via optical device for Microsoft products.

I've replaced laptop and TV screens and have disassembled and reassembled fully a number of laptops, iPads, etc. I had the 5348 partially apart the other night and not worried about it. Static free desktop and keeping track of what goes back together in the correct order is the biggest things.

November 14th, 2016 15:00

Greetings,

1. Run diagnostics using this link: http://dell.to/2fR0zsn to check if the issue with the LCD or motherboard.

If you have HDMI cable, please connect AIO to TV and check if you can see vertical line on the TV.

Please share the system service tag or express service code and picture of the LCD through this private chat.
Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. Please check this video to find service tag on the system using this link: http://dell.to/2fR53iw

2. Check the Boot sequence under General. Click on view under Boot list option. Then click on ok to get the list of boot sequence. Select Samsung as the first boot device.
Disable secure boot and change Boot List Option to Legacy. Check if you are able to boot using the Disc.

9 Posts

November 14th, 2016 19:00

Thanks.. when I get a few minutes with it I'll try those suggestions.

9 Posts

November 15th, 2016 09:00

PM Sent...

9 Posts

November 15th, 2016 09:00

Did the diagnostics and YES the bad pixel vertical line is there in the 4th column from the left which is gray. No errors during test. Plugged the HDMI OUT to my TV and the TV screen had NO vertical line.

I'd say that's hardware then and I'll send you a PM shortly with the service tag number.

No Events found!