kakepner
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 2320 Windows 8 PROBLEM

Do you have a link for the 9.17.10.2763 driver I can not find it anywhere and I would rather not spend hours on the phone with Dell

0 Kudos
Rockjansky
1 Copper

I do not, as I said, Dell support was doing stuff in the background which I couldn't see. One more piece of information is that the video driver auto updates so you have to keep rolling the driver back manually. Maybe give that a try and see if you can roll it back as I think this is the default driver. Anyway, it looks as though this is an issue with Intel HD 3000 graphics and isn't just related to this model. So hopefully there will be an updated driver that works correctly soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Keegan55
1 Copper

****This is actually only a temporary fix.. I have found a permanant fix for this issue problem, it is in my next post under this one.***

Hello, I have finally found a fix for this issue after spending a day trying to resolve it.

This issue can be resolved by following these steps:

First, when you start the computer and you are getting the flashing screen, you can hit the "Sleep" button and then wait a few moments, and tap Sleep again.

This will give you access to the computer (Until any graphics settings change). While you have access I recommend downloading the newest version of the video driver, located here.

A full drivers list can be located here. Make sure to select your OS in advance to downloading the drivers.

Alright, after you have downloaded the Graphics Driver, install it.

You will probably notice during the installation that the screen goes back to the flashing colours.. Just let it go, after about a minute, if it is still flashing, try tapping the Sleep button again. This step is a bit different however, the computer will probably have turned off, press the Power button to turn it back on.

Now, it will boot to windows and flash again, Tap sleep, wait, and tap it again to bring it up.

Once you are on the desktop, open the Control Panel and then go into "Intel Graphics and Media". A new window will pop up, and you should select Advanced Mode and press OK.

In this new screen, you should see an option for the "Refresh Rate", by selecting this option you should be presented with 2 options, 60Hz(What its on by default) and 50Hz.

After selecting 50Hz, please press "Apply" at the bottom. The screen may flash breifly and then you should select OK to keep the changes. Press Ok again, and you can test by restarting your computer.

I hope this resolves the issue for everyone having this issue, and hope Dell comes out with a fix for the issue as we should be able to run it on the 60Hz as it looks nicer and would run smoother. But until they do, this will get you up and running with Windows 8.

Keegan55
1 Copper

Alright, so my previous POST was a temp. fix it seems. Once restarting the computer, installing updates, the issue would resurface..

Sorry it has taken awhile to get back.

I called Dell and talked to one of the reps who continually told me to just "Go back to Win7" cause that's what it shipped with and worked with. He was saying the 2320 may not be fully supported in windows 8. The support page say it works fine in windows 8 other than a TV Card and USB issue's (none of which are issue's with the machine I worked on)

Anyways. I Resolved the issue by going to Device Manager, opening up the Display Adapter, right clicking on the video card and going to Update Driver.  From there you say you want to B"rowse My Computer for driver software".

On the next page, select "Let me pick from a list..." In there, you should hopefully have a few to pick from, the first one being the Windows 8 Basic Driver, the next 2 above that are Microsoft drivers.  Choose the Microsoft one that has something in brackets after it  "( )"

After installing the drivers, restart.. You should notice that the color flipping screen doesn't come up.

After this, go to Windows Updates, check for updates

An update should show up for the Intel Graphics drivers, Make sure to right click and hide it.  If it updates it may cause the issue to resurface..

Hope this resolves the issue for anyone having this problem.

0 Kudos
mmcclark
1 Copper

This fixed my problem.  Took me a lot of searching the web and different forums, but you nailed it.  I spent hours online with Dell, they know nothng.

0 Kudos
Keegan55
1 Copper

Glad that this worked for you. Took me awhile of testing and some frustration to figure it out.

0 Kudos
chuckaud
1 Copper

I'm going to try this fix. Very frustrated with Dell support. They completed the temporary fix and the issue recurred and I am now told that upgrading to Win 8 voided my warranty and to have any further assistance I need to purchase the $200 service plan for a one month old computer that they certified was Win 8 ready. Fingers crossed as Dell support has checked out on this apparently known issue.
0 Kudos
Keegan55
1 Copper

Chuck, I know exactly how you feel.

I called dell and the Tech I spoke with kept telling me to "Go back to Windows 7 to ensure it is not a hardware issue"..

It's not a damn hardware issue, it worked perfectly fine in Win7 then when going to 8, which is clearly stated as working on the Dell website, only known issue's is with Audio and a TV Tuner card, the issue appeared..

Dell rep kept saying that Windows 8 is not fully supported, even though the website states that it's supported, that there are drivers..  They should not state their product can work with windows 8 and then deny it over the tech support. They kept trying to use the excuse that Windows 8 is very new and it takes time.

Sure, I understand that, but do NOT then tell me that Windows 8 works and have driver support when it's broken.. I'm sure they could easily resolve the issue.

I mean, the driver that works fine on the system is a Microsoft Driver.. Maybe they should just call microsoft and get them to send them what they need and just build on that..

Dell frustrates me beyond belief. I would not recommend one to anyone or ever purchase one for myself or a friend.

0 Kudos

I've spent several days following this post.I took delivery of  a demo2320 upgraded to Win 8. All I get is the Bios screen followed by a rotating circle then coloured screens, I can't get into the computer to fix it. Shipped with el cheepo Dell qwerty key board without half moons etc....what do we do??

0 Kudos
savn4amac
2 Bronze

Is Win8 worth alll this?   I had a devil of a time getting used to it and just as I was getting comfortable, another known bug which plagues win8, came upon me.  It's the Library folders which houses pictures, documents, music, etc.   They disppear!  After speaking with Dell tech several times to no avail, I finally got one who had to come to the Dell forums, and that's how he discovered it was a known problem.  He tried the fix suggested, didn't work.  I have to admiire his ingenuity in resolving the issue the way he did, however, I ended up with a brand new 64 bit Dell Inspiron 3520, gerry rigged with an older OS library folders installed.  That was his remedy for the problem.  No rebates no discount for the now gerry rigged product.  But you know what?  After using it a while, I decided I liked the old library files better than the win8.  I also discovered I liked just about everything older (vista, XP, win7) better than win8.  Anyone want to buy a 64 bit Inspiron 3520 w/win8, only used 3 months?   What a hunk of junk.. But if you like win8, I've got a great deal for ya!    

0 Kudos