Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2016 17:00

Inspiron 3250 Small Desktop Memory Module

I have the small Inspiron 3250 Desktop.  Processor information:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz (CPU:0).  Memory type:  DDR3 (1600 MHz).

I want to add another 8gb memory module.  I have asked Dell representative 5 times about which module to order.  I have received 4 different recommendations and one "your PC can't be upgraded).  I do know that my PC has two slots for memory and is only using 1 8gb module so I know it can be upgraded.  I just don't know which module is best suited for my PC.

Any suggestions??  Thanks in advance

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 19:00

Have you called Dell Spare Parts directly (totally separate from Dell tech support) and given them that part number?

You can look at Crucial.com. They have 2x8GB RAM for this system model for ~$94. The good thing about Crucial is they guarantee it works in whichever system they recommended it for or they take it back. Many people around this forum buy from Crucial.

But do yourself a favor. Start at Crucial's home page and work through their product finder on the left side so you know you looking at RAM for your system. Don't just rely on the link I posted, because -after all- it is your money. :emotion-5: 

You will have to click the "Show more" button when you get to the page for your model to see the 8 GB modules.

And I guess you could sell the Hynix module on eBay etc to recover some of the cost of a new pair...

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 18:00

Ron;  Here's what I got:  Part No. VR648  Description:  DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 8GB, 1600, 2RX8, 4G, DDR3L, UDIMM.  Manufacturer:  SK Hynix

So any help finding the best module from Dell would be appreciated -- even if I have to buy two modules to have them match.

As mentioned above, I have gotten zero help from Dell reps and it's beginning to get old spending about an hour per call and getting nothing.

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 18:00

The specs say this system can support 16 GB (2x8 GB) of RAM.

It's best to install RAM in matched pairs, so you probably should try to buy the exact same module from Dell, rather than getting it elsewhere, with possibly different specs, even if less expensive elsewhere.

Go to the Support site and put in your Service Tag. (Don't post it here.) When it comes back with your system info, click the System Configuration link.

Now scroll down to the listing for factory installed RAM. Expand that entry and it should give you Dell's part number.

Then contact Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-357-3355 assuming you're in the USA. Have your Service Tag handy to confirm that part number is correct and available....

No Events found!