Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2016 22:00

Inspiron 3650 GPU Upgrade

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my Inspiron 3650 with a better graphics card, but I have had a *** of a time figure out what will actually work with the system given its lacking power supply and compact size.

I think I am looking at the GTX 750 Ti.  

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

Would this work?  If this does work, would I want the SC or FTW model?  Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 8th, 2016 05:00

No card like that works or will EVER work because the 3650 power supply is too small AND the slots are LOW PROFILE.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2016 12:00

What is the best I can do with this machine?

4 Posts

Here is a link to a low profile version of the card.  I have read that the 300W PSU is not an absolute minimum because the card itself is a very low power consumption model (and part of its appeal).

www.amazon.com/.../ref=twister_B018HUAONC

If this one does not work, what is the best I can do?

4 Posts

I've read of people using these in the 3874 machines, and I thought those machines were of a similar size profile to the 3650?  In either case, here is a low profile version.  Would this work?

www.amazon.com/.../B00MW8NXAW

I've read that the power supply is not as much of a concern because the GTX 750 uses low amounts of power (60W typically).

If this does not work, what is the best card I can put in this machine?  It may be going back to Dell if I can't even put a half decent video card in it...

254 Posts

August 10th, 2016 09:00

i can't find anyone on the internet who has actually tried a GTX 750 ti in this system.  most people are running GT 730 or r7 240 which are terrible cards.  I am running an old HD 6570 that i had laying around just so i can game on low-med settings.   it's only a tiny bit faster than my i3 6100's built in intel graphics.

13 Posts

April 24th, 2017 21:00

I would have to disagree I have a evga GeForce Gtx 960 acx 2.0 double wide inside my 3650 and with a little creative placements of the ssd I added to the machine (it only came with 1tb hdd)  which got a lot of the cords out of the way it fits perfectly and closes properly but as far as the power is concerned that was gonna be an issue so I bought a EVGA SuperNOVA 1200watt psu and just have it sitting behind my machine and the beauty of the fully modular is you only need to connect the specific cabling that you need to use the gpu needs 400watts itself so I figured I could use the added connections when I decide to add additional components but I'll probably just buy a new case and transfer the mobo and other components so I'll have the ability to properly enclose everything

No Events found!