Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2014 20:00

Inspiron 3847 Desktop HDMI Does Not Wake Monitor

Just purchased an Inspiron 3847 desktop with integrated graphics to evaluate if we should get them for our company.  Connected an ASUS monitor via HDMI and did not get video.  Could not figure out what was going on so connected via VGA instead and it worked as expected.  Ultimately determined that the Inspiron is not sending a wake up signal to the monitor.  Tried the monitor on a different model computer and it worked correctly.  Tried a different HDMI cable with the monitor and the Inspiron but no change.  So it means that using an HDMI monitor on the Inspiron 3847 one has to turn on the monitor after the computer is started in order for it to connect via HDMI.  Checked to see if there was a BIOS update but I have version 2 that was just recently released.  Any suggestions on how to make the Inspiron wake up the monitor when the system is powered on or taken out of sleep mode? 

8 Posts

December 12th, 2014 14:00

As with many others on this thread, I have a Dell Inspiron 3847; as well as MANY other dell computers of various makes and models from various generations. The Dell Inspiron 3847 is, in my opinion, the worst ever PC I ever got. Like everyone else on this thread, I have problems with the "video." The VGA plug/mode is no problem - but using a DVi to VGA adapter IS a problem as well as using the HDMI cable to VGA or HDMI to DVi (monitor side) cables. I have tried the BIOS setting multi-monitor support. I have tried updating the BIOS to "A05." This PC is equipped with the most limited BIOS I have ever experienced from Dell. I have tried using various Video cards (as well as using both the OEM power supply and a 350w PS).

Even using various external video cards like:
NVidia GT 739 (x16), GT700 (x16). GT730 (x1), GT620 (x16)
ATI 5450 (x1), ATI 6450 (x16)

6 different video cards of the two SLOT types available in this PC.

Monitors:
Dell 2011Hc, Dell E207WFPc, Dell E196FPb, Dell 1703fp, and an ACER G236HL.

5 different monitors.

The results of using the above hardware on the Inspiron 3847: "blank screen" whether it was powered or not. Guess as to problem: poor bios or poor circuit design. Reason/assumptions - external video cards should of worked or a VGA to DVi adapter should of worked as well - at the very least.

I have used those same hardware on my:

Dell Dimension 3000, 4550, 4600, 8100, 8400, Dell Vostro 220, 230, 400, and even a PowerEdge T110 out of sheer disbelief that it could be something wrong on a brand new Dell desktop.

I have tried various video/monitor cables, adapters, PCI-E slot x16 video cards, PCI-E slot x1 video cards, various DELL monitor models of VGA and/or DVI ports, and well - my conclusion is:

So while there might be "some" user errors - I think the main user error was whoever selected this limited BIOS/Motherboard combo.

This kind of reminds me of the old "plug-n-pray" days. Anyone else?

So if anyone else has any other possible solutions to try, I'm a willing listener/guinea pig. Also, if anyone else has tried a (VGA to DVi) or a (VGA to HDMI) adapter on either the monitor side or the PC socket-side, I would like to know your results whether it is good or bad.

-Cal

12 Posts

December 13th, 2014 06:00

For the record: I just bought and am using a Dell Inspiron 3847  with integrated graphics,Windows 8.1,etc,along with an  AOC 12369Vm 23" monitor using an hdmi cable and so,far,it is working perfectly.

According to the dell information on my tag page,there was a video issue,along with various others issues,so perhaps it has since been fixed,

99 Posts

December 14th, 2014 16:00

This is an interesting thread, from someone who - like others - has recently purchased an Inspiron 3847. Full disclosure: I haven't been using the built in Intel HD 4600 graphics, simply because I wanted to upgrade the graphics to an NVidia GTX750 card ... and that works perfectly with Displayport (not HDMI) on an ASUS VN279QL monitor (oddly, no other post I've read here has mentioned the ASUS monitor used).

But, I did try HDMI with both the built-in graphics and the NVidia card, and I had a problem with the connection getting lost periodically (which is why I switched to Displayport). None of this had anything to do with the Dell PC, BTW. It was all about the ASUS monitor.

My monitor does take a couple of seconds to wake up when it goes to sleep - unlike the Samsung monitor I was using before - so maybe it will wake up if you wait long enough. I don't know.

January 5th, 2015 15:00

Cathaleen you do realize you sound like a total jerk to the agent in that chat session, right? It is you that decided to waste your time, the agent was just trying to get familiar with the case and following their protocols. Do you really expect you are going to be talking with one of their hardware engineers with all the answers when you start a chat session with a low level tech?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

January 5th, 2015 18:00

Cathaleen you do realize you sound like a total jerk to the agent in that chat session, right? It is you that decided to waste your time, the agent was just trying to get familiar with the case and following their protocols. Do you really expect you are going to be talking with one of their hardware engineers with all the answers when you start a chat session with a low level tech?

This thread is almost a year old and your comments are inappropriate. There's never any need to insult people or call people names...

January 6th, 2015 09:00

The thread may be a year old but it was updated less than a month ago and I found a solution here as I was having the same issue. Sorry, but when I see someone acting so poorly towards someone that is just trying to help them then I think they need to be called out.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 6th, 2015 09:00

INTEL Multi Display must be enabled in bios. Spamming F2 gets you into bios.

12 Posts

January 6th, 2015 10:00

Regardless of the fact that this thread a year old,it is ongoing.

There is a big difference between insulting someone and pointing out bad and unacceptable behaviour,which is what the post is saying.

Someone once said: 'You can catch more flies with molasses than sandpaper."

Unfortunately,some people,especially those in business have the idea that if you bark loud enough and put the fear of God in people,you'll get instant results -WRONG!

14.4K Posts

January 6th, 2015 11:00

All.
Keep  this thread on topic or it will be locked.  There is no need for negative comments against a poster ever.

4 Posts

February 19th, 2015 10:00

Not user error. I have same issue!  Have an ASUS and viewsonic. If on a Inspiron 3847, monitor won't wake from sleep. Any other HDMI enabled computer I have from Dell, it's fine.

4 Posts

February 19th, 2015 16:00

Worked for me! thanks!!!!

1 Message

April 21st, 2015 09:00

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 3847 and it would go to sleep and I couldn't get it to wake up.  I'm pretty ignorant on computer hardware and figured it was something I'm doing wrong.  I unfortunately need to be baby-fed info on this fix.  I'll try to discern what to do, and appreciate hearing that its not just me!!!  Thanks!

12 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 11:00

I bought the Dell Inspiron 3847 PC last December,along with an AOC 23" HDMI monitor.

No problems so far.

1 Message

July 16th, 2015 09:00

For anybody reading this thread, ROHE's answer is *exactly* the solution.  After doing what he describes, I opened windows display control panel and finished the job.  It survives reboot.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2015 14:00

Can the Inspiron 3847 support 2 monitors?

No Events found!