Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2017 13:00

Inspiron 3847 - Flashing Orange Light at Back of Desktop - Should I Worry?

Hello

Firstly, I should say I have no idea about any of the workings inside my computer so all help is gratefully received.

Today I noticed a flashing orange light at the back of my desktop tower. Now it might have been there since day one but I imagine I would have noticed it before as the tower is on my desk...

The light is just above the area where the modem cable plugs in. Inside the computer (and here I show my lack of tech knowledge) there seems to be a small box like structure on the motherboard in the area the modem cable plugs into and I can see the light flashing from that. There is a constant orange glow just above it (also emanating from around that box area). The area does not feel hot. Fans are working.

I have turned it on and off and have unplugged the modem cable and plugged it back in but the light continues to flash.

The tower did fall over onto its side about three weeks ago (on a flat surface so not far and it was switched off at the time) but it has worked fine since. 

Mountain out of a molehill? Or serious issue? 

Thanks 

331 Posts

July 1st, 2017 17:00

Hi RXCGB,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Please check the below pictures and if it’s the link lights on the network port with the cable connected, you need not worry. The blinking network lights, indicate the status and activity for a wired network connection.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

10 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 06:00

Hello Dell

Thank you for responding.

Yes it is the lights at the network port. I'd never noticed them flashing before and now I feel a bit of a muppet!

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

RXCGB

331 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 11:00

Hi RXCGB,

You're welcome :) Please feel free to write to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be happy to help you :)

No Events found!