Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2013 17:00

Inspiron 518 locked on startup

Hi - my trusty 518 has been showing signs of age (psu replaced a few months ago) and now on startup its locked on the bios page with the status bar covering the "Ins" in "Inspiron".  I get a single beep, then it hits the bios page and nada.  Have checked the psu voltages (unloaded) and all was good, unplugged/removed and replugged/reseated everything  - this did work a few times but not anymore.  Any help greatly appreciated - thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 17th, 2013 18:00

Hi Morecoabell5,

One been indicates a possible motherboard failure ("BIOS ROM checksum failure"). My first suggestion would be to try to reset the CMOS.

Clearing CMOS Settings 
1. Follow the procedures in Before You Begin.
2. Remove the computer cover (see Removing the Computer Cover).
3. Reset the current CMOS settings:
a. Locate the 3-pin CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) on the system board (see System Board Components).
b. Remove the jumper plug from the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3.
c. Place the jumper plug on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 1 and 2 and wait approximately five seconds.
d. Remove the jumper plug and replace it on the CMOS jumper (CLEAR CMOS) pins 2 and 3.
4. Replace the computer cover (see Replacing the Computer Cover).
5. Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and turn them on.

May 17th, 2013 19:00

Osprey - thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it but no change - same as before.   What now?  

Thanks again

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 17th, 2013 21:00

If the motherboard has failed, you can swap in a third party replacement like this: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

May 18th, 2013 09:00

Great - how do I know if its the motherboard?   And if it is, what are the specs I'm trying to match with a replacement?

Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 18th, 2013 10:00

If the power supply has been replaced yet on bootup one beep results, that suggests the motherboard has an issue.

It's a Socket LGA775 and the chassis has a removable IO shield, so the third-party board I linked to should fit. You also have the option of updating to a Socket LGA1155 board, but you'd also need a new CPU and memory.

May 18th, 2013 11:00

New mobo on the way - many thanks to all

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 18th, 2013 11:00

If the new motherboard fixes the problem, could you do us a favor and mark the thread as answered?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 18th, 2013 12:00

Great -- we're looking forward to hear that all is well again with your 518!

May 18th, 2013 12:00

Yes, will do - thanks again

No Events found!