Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2010 06:00

Inspiron 530 Desktop

Hi All

We suffered from a power cut recently, and on trying to power up again, my PC is just failing.  It is saying that there is no boot device available, and when I go into BIOS it seems it doesn't see any Hard drive.  Would anyone have any ideas?   Thanks

729 Posts

May 20th, 2010 08:00

Try removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS.  Remove it for about 10-15 minutes and then replace it.  It's about the size of a nickel and is on the motherboard.  You didn't indicate what model PC you have so I can't give you more specific instructions.

2 Posts

May 21st, 2010 03:00

Thanks for that.  I tried it but it didn't seem to do any good :-(  It's an Inspiron 530 by the way....i put that as the title...

729 Posts

May 21st, 2010 04:00

You're right missed that, sorry.  Anyway sounds like the prognosis isn't good.  If the BIOS still doesn't pick up any drives it's a good possibility that the motherborad took a hit.  Do you hear any beeps?  What color is the power button?  Solid blue, amber, flshing amber?

My mom's PC acted just like this a couple weeks ago.  Wasn't a power failer, but I could go into BIOS and the time would be right, just no drives.  Ended up just replaceing the CMOS battery and everything worked fine. 

No Events found!