Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

January 1st, 2011 16:00

Inspiron 530 freezes on boot-up. Problem related to USB devices.

This is a weird problem, definitely related to USB devices. The symptom is that when the system is powered up, it freezes on the BIOS start-up screen (where you are given options to hit F2 or F12). If I unplug my HP 1505 Laser printer from the USB port at the rear of the system, it will almost always boot up when repowered. If it doesn't boot up, repeated attempts do not seem to help. However, without fail (so far at least), if I remove the power cord from the back of the 530 and plug it back in, the system will boot properly.

I have been able to workaround the problem by plugging the printer into the USB expansion ports on my HP monitor. However just when I thought this would work 100% of the time, it failed.

The problem is not 100% repeatable. That is I have succeeded in getting the system to run for a day or two with the printer's USB plugged into the back of the computer. Today the windows was semi-hung up (the mouse was working, but I couldn't close any windows or pull up task manager). When I powered down and tried to re-boot, it hung on the splash screen as above. Remove the printer's USB cable allowed it to re-boot. Sounds like some flaky hardware problem...

FWIW, my boot sequence in the BIOS is HD first, then CD-Rom. All other boot devices are disabled.

My other USB devices are a Microsoft wireless mouse, Dell Keyboard, and an APC UPS.

The system is two years old and has been pretty reliable. The hardware configuration and peripherals have not changed. This problem surfaced over the last few weeks.

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 05:00

Hi Espod17,

Have you checked for an updated BIOS in downloads? Are you getting the F1, F2 prompt at startup or the advanced boot menu?

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 05:00

I have not checked for updated BIOS - I have never updated a BIOS, didn't want to screw it up and didn't think it would likely solve the problem. But I am more willing to do it now ... Can u direct me to good step by step directions on how to do it?

The computer is freezing at the first BIOS splash screen (F2/F12 screen), not the advanced boot menu.

tx

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 06:00

The download and instructions are on the support site (click support above, then downloads).

One more thing I forgot to ask. Does your printer have a card reader?

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 09:00

Printer doesn't have a card reader. It's a small workgroup/personal laser printer (HP 1505).

I'll try the BIOS upgrade when my wife gets off the computer in a few hours..

8 Posts

January 2nd, 2011 16:00

DId BIOS upgrade - it DID NOT improve the situation. Tried swapping printers- didn't help either.  But disconnecting the printer from USB port at time of boot definitely DID allow the system to boot (as has been).

Any more ideas out there?

No Events found!