Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

September 29th, 2010 08:00

Inspiron 530 - high fan speed sometimes occurs waking up from sleep mode

I will also add my experiences of the high fan speed problems that have been discussed in these forums over the past few years.

I received my Inspiron 530 back in December 2008, and also noticed that the fans would rev up to high speed on a fairly frequent basis during normal use. I eventually found the latest version of the Bios (1.0.18) on the downloads page, plucked up the courage and installed it. This latest version of the Bios appears to have stopped the fans revving up during normal use, but they now occasionally rev up when waking up from sleep mode. After several hours looking through this forum I have found only one other entry that is similar to this type of behaviour in that, but in that case it appears that the fans rev up every time when waking from sleep mode, and that the person was advised that the power supply fan might need to be changed. I have run the "Fan/overheating tests" in the Utility Partition section of the Boot Options (press F12 during startup) and no errors were reported. I will try it again when this error next occurs.

If this is actually a hardware problem then why does Speedfan show that both the fans are revving to over twice what they do during normal operation? Also, why does it not happen when starting the machine up from scratch?

Is there possibly a problem with the fan controller chip (ITE IT8718F), but p ersonally I think there is still a problem with the Bios.

Has anyone else seen this particular pattern of behaviour of the fan speed problem?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 29th, 2010 08:00

I have a Dimension E510 and the CPU fan in it will rev up from standby.  I attribute that to normal operation as the CPU has high usage, for a short period as displayed on the CPU monitor.  When the CPU usage goes down, the fan returns to a "quiet" speed.  The CPU fan will speed up occasionally under heavy CPU use during "normal" operations.

1.7K Posts

September 29th, 2010 09:00

I have never had any problems with my 530 and Bios version 1.0.16.  I read too many problems about 1.0.18 and avoided it.  The CPU fan on the 530 will run at high speed on start up and then return to a quiet state once Windows has loaded.  The case fan is temperature sensitive, but I never hear it running in any conditions.  The only thing I ever hear rev up after this is my video card fan.  I also never cared for any power saving options and they always seem to create problems for me.  I have always created my own custom power plan with performance in mind and then I never have any issues.  

September 30th, 2010 09:00

1.0.18 is a lot better than what I had before, and from previous posts it looks at though back grading to 1.0.16 could be fairly tricky. Would you be kind enough to let me know what your custom power plan is and I will give it a go. Thanks in advance.

September 30th, 2010 09:00

Sorry, I haven't made myself clear. Normally from both cold start and standby the fans will rev up to full speed for a period of a couple of seconds and then slow down to their normal "quiet" speed. Occasionally though from standby the fans will remain at high speed. It seems to happen about once  in every ten.

1.7K Posts

September 30th, 2010 16:00

Turn off hard driver:  Never

Wireless Adapter Settings:  Maximum Performance

Sleep After:  Never

Allow Hybrid Sleep:  Off

Hibernate After:  Never

Allow Wake up timer:  Off

USB Settings/Selective Suspend Setting:  Disabled

PCI Express:  Off

Display:  20 minutes

Processor Power Management/Min. Processor State:  100%

System Cooling Policy:  Active

Max. Processor State:  100%

Multimedia Settings/When Sharing Media:  Prevent idling to sleep

When Playing Video:  Optimize Video Quality

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 30th, 2010 18:00

Sometimes a corrupted or outdated video card driver can send the fans into overdrive. You might want to update the driver to a more recent one that's compatible with your video card.

Get it from the manufacturer's site (eg, ATI or nVidia) because Dell tends to be way behind with video drivers.

Ron

October 7th, 2010 08:00

Thanks Ron, I'll give it a try though my driver was only one release behind the most recent one and this problem still occurs. Failing that I'll have to contact Dell support and see what they say!

The fan controller chip, IT8718F, has a feature called SmartGuardian. Maybe there is problem with that in that it thinks that a catatrophic failure is happening to the system.

October 24th, 2010 08:00

My wife's 530S recently started the hghi speed fan noise when it wakes up.  The only way to stop it seems to kill the power.  It has always done the high speed thing for a couple of seconds on startup but the new situation is more than annoying.  It sometimes does the wakeup due to home network activity so no one may even be sitting at the computer when it tries to take off.  I have installed the version .18 of the BIOS to no avail.

1 Message

June 16th, 2011 14:00

I am having the same problem with my 530S and it's driving me nuts. Did anyone find a solution for this? Thanks, David.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 16th, 2011 16:00

Possibly corrupted video driver?

Manullly set a System Restore point, just to be safe. Then uninstall the current video driver in Device Manager, reboot and install a fresh download of the latest driver that's compatible with your hardware and version of Windows.

Don't install the new driver 'on top' of the old driver.

Get the latest driver from ATI or nVidia website, since Dell tends to be way behind in video drivers.

Ron

EDIT: Brain not connected to fingers today!

1 Message

May 1st, 2014 05:00

no boot situation no bios access.   Any suggestions

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 1st, 2014 11:00

no boot situation no bios access.   Any suggestions

-ERNBO11-

This is very old thread. Suggest you start a new one and be sure to include exact PC model and version of Windows in your post.

No Events found!