Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2009 16:00

Inspiron 530 processor compatibility?

Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade my CPU to the fastest my computer will allow me. I have an Inspiron 530 desktop with the Core 2 Duo e6550. My processor has a 1333 fsb. What would be the highest Core 2 Quad that I would be able to upgrade to? I will be upgrading the PSU before the processor because I am going to do a GPU upgrade soon so that won't be an issue. Thanks.

AJ

729 Posts

January 14th, 2009 16:00

The Inspiron 530 is actually manufactured with two different motherboards.  A G33m02 for Core 2 Duo and a G33m03 for Core 2 Quad.  The difference between them is the power regulation for the processsor.  So unless you have a G33m03 you won't be able to run a quad.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2009 18:00

ajth87

Download THIS free program to find your motherboard's information.

If the motherboard is 0RY007, then it supports Core2 Duo processors only and if the motherboard is 0FM586, then it supports both Quad 4 & Core2 Duo processors.

Bev.

34 Posts

January 14th, 2009 19:00

Thanks for the quick replies! Well the disappointing part is that i have the 0RY007 Mobo which means only Core 2 Duo but I cant complain because my Core 2 Duo now is anything but unsatisfactory. Therefore I will just upgrade to a higher Core 2 Duo. Thanks again all.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the quick replies! Well the disappointing part is that i have the 0RY007 Mobo which means only Core 2 Duo but I cant complain because my Core 2 Duo now is anything but unsatisfactory. Therefore I will just upgrade to a higher Core 2 Duo. Thanks again all.

Yep, I know the feeling, I have a 530 with a 0RY007 motherboard, I would like to upgrade to a Quad, but I cannot justify buying a new 0FM586 motherboard, plus replacing the 300w power supply with at least, a 350w unit.    :emotion-4:

Bev.

729 Posts

January 5th, 2010 11:00

See HERE for supported CPUs.  The Q9400 is on the list.

I have the DG33M03 motherboard w/ 350W PSU, and I want to upgrade to a quad core processor.  In a previous forum I've read, it read that the Q6600 is the highest that could be installed.  I failed to look for the date which it was posted, and I wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction of what to look for with my motherboard.

I recently bought a Nvidia Geforce 9400 1GB, which the graphics are awesome, but my CPU is always running at 100% and I feel like thats the cause of my gaming lag at times.

I have the Intel Celeron 450 @ 2.2Ghz and 800Mhz FSB.  Would you think that upgrading this processor will fix this problem?  And if so, would you suggest upgrading to a higher psu?  I was looking at 550W PSU with the zalman ultra quiet cpu cooler.

I also wanted to try upgrading from vista 32bit, to windows 7 64bit.  I've been reading that Windows 7 isn't as hard on your system as Vista is.  These are just some idea's I've been bouncing around.  Any help I could get with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

This is the processor I have been considering.

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400 (6M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

=)

I have the DG33M03 motherboard w/ 350W PSU, and I want to upgrade to a quad core processor.  In a previous forum I've read, it read that the Q6600 is the highest that could be installed.  I failed to look for the date which it was posted, and I wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction of what to look for with my motherboard.

I recently bought a Nvidia Geforce 9400 1GB, which the graphics are awesome, but my CPU is always running at 100% and I feel like thats the cause of my gaming lag at times.

I have the Intel Celeron 450 @ 2.2Ghz and 800Mhz FSB.  Would you think that upgrading this processor will fix this problem?  And if so, would you suggest upgrading to a higher psu?  I was looking at 550W PSU with the zalman ultra quiet cpu cooler.

I also wanted to try upgrading from vista 32bit, to windows 7 64bit.  I've been reading that Windows 7 isn't as hard on your system as Vista is.  These are just some idea's I've been bouncing around.  Any help I could get with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

729 Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

I would try with your current setup.  These newer CPUs use less power so you might get by with what you have.  Be sure to update the BIOS to the latest version before you install the new CPU and use a good thermal paste.  Like Artic Silver 5.

January 5th, 2010 12:00

Awesome, thanks!  Would you recommend the PSU, and CPU fan upgrade as well?  Or will thermal paste be enough?  I'm kind of new to this, so I don't want to mess something up. :emotion-7:

January 5th, 2010 13:00

Okay cool I'll try that out!  I recently upgraded my BIOS to the . 18 as of yesterday and as far as I know that is the latest one for this motherboard.  I've read that there are issues with it, but I haven't noticed anything on my PC aside from the new Dell logo on start up.  I'll try out the CPU first and see how it goes.  I also have the 1GB video card installed as well so I was a little concerned.  Thanks for the help!

9 Posts

January 28th, 2011 20:00

I know this is a horribly old thread, but I've been linked to it in a more recent one i made. I have a related question with the inspiron 530s, as far as whether the

Intel Pentium E6700 Wolfdale 3.2GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80571E6700

will work in it. I'm debating on whether to buy it or not. I don't see any reason that it wouldn't, although it isn't on the official list of dell parts that was tested.

No Events found!