Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2013 16:00

Inspiron 530 will not turn on

So I have had issues with my computer turning on and I would have to press the power button numerous times to get it to power up, one day i go to turn it in and it doesn't even boot u at all any more. I noticed the light on the back of the tower is still solid green by the power cord and the light inside the case on the motherboard is still lit up. I am thinking it might just be the power button went out on the tower but I am not sure if there could be any other issues since I am not to tech savvy with computer.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 7th, 2013 18:00

Beneboy89

Assuming that you have the Inspiron 530 Mini Tower and not the 530s Slimline version.

Is the power button LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber, or off?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages?

Does the power supply fan run?

Has any changes been made to the 530 recently?

Is there a discrete graphics card installed, or are you using the integrated graphics?

The Inspiron 530 MT Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

3 Posts

July 7th, 2013 22:00

The power button does not light up at all and there is no sound. The fan is not running and I have a discrete graphics card that I bought a year or so before the computer started messing up. The only thing that has been changed to the computer was that I took out the cd drive that it came with and put in a new cd drive. The light that is inside on the motherboard is a solid ember color though, i dont now if that is of any importance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 7th, 2013 22:00

Beneboy89

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply has not failed, or has issues.

Sounds like a failed power supply, try installing a different PSU and see if this makes a difference, as you need a 'known' working unit to test the system.

Generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

The power supply replacement procedures are here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Check out the Corsair and Antec brands of power supplies.

Bev.   

3 Posts

July 8th, 2013 02:00

Ok thanks, I will give that a shot and see if it solves my problem.

No Events found!