Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2010 16:00

Inspiron 530s power supply dying?

Recently my 530s has been shutting down at random intervals. I notice that the blue ring around the power button briefly turns amber before turning off (it does not blink, strictly solid blue to solid amber before turning off).Sometimes within minutes, sometimes a few hours. I checked my temps to make sure nothing was overheating, and I made sure everything was connected properly. I reseated the RAM and heatsink. I took off the metal plate over the power supply's fan and looked inside with a flash light and noticed that there was some sort of melted white (plastic?) residue in various places.

So I suppose that means I have to replace the power supply? I see that the model of my power supply is a Bestec TFX0250D5W Rev.: X4. After googling it I saw that there were many online shops including ebay that sells that replacement model. However, before I buy it, I wanted to come here and ask just to make sure that it is the power supply that needs replacing.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance :)

4 Posts

March 10th, 2014 21:00

After removing the old PS, I thoroughly dusted out the inside of my computer. It was slightly smaller than the original manufacturer's unit, but installed as expected. 

Upon rebooting, I received a diskette drive 0 seek failure. I was a bit worried, but began troubleshooting the error.  For some reason, my bios bean searching for a floppy drive that was never installed.  To fix the error message, I disabled the non existent floppy drive in my BIOS.

My computer is now working normally.  At only $24.99, it was an inexpensive fix.  

This power supply was new and still factory sealed.

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 09:00

Anyone have some feedback for me? I'm waiting to buy a new power supply until I get some extra confirmation besides my best guess.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 07:00

Hello SOZU21.  I have a Inspiron 530s.  I have recently been hearing lots of extra noise from the power supply and my computer has been giving me a black screen.  A temporary solution is to completely shut down the PC and allow it cool down for a few hours.  This will give me a few hours of PC usage before the screen goes black again.  After the screen goes black, the only way to turn off the power (rather than unplugging the cord from the back of the tower) is to do a hard shut down (by pressing and holding the button on the front of the machine for about 5 seconds.)

I used this machine almost daily since Nov 2009, It must be time to replace this power supply.  While being quite the techie novice, I find them quite easy to install, just a bit harder than graphics cards and ram.

I did a search on Ebay for "Dell 530s power supply."   I found a new 420w for under $25 w/ free s&h and stellar reviews to boot!   I have one on the way.

http://replacepower.com/power-supply-types/tfx-power-supply/rp-tfx-420-watt/ is site of the manufacturer. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 13:00

vitaminaz

Have you tried cleaning any accumulated dust and debris from inside the case, fans, heat sink cooling fins and the air intakes located in the front panel, to see if this makes a difference?

Bev.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 14:00

Hello Bev, 

Thank you for replying.

Yes, I have recently used my Metro Vacuum inside the case and on the inner front panel.  I was careful to  thoroughly clean out all components that you mentioned.  That did not take care of the noise.

I have that power supply on the way.  It ought to resolve the problem.  

vitaminaz.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 14:00

vitaminaz

Let's hope so, please give us a feedback on the results of replacing the power supply.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 10th, 2014 22:00

vitaminaz

Glad to hear the issue is resolved.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

4 Posts

March 10th, 2014 23:00

Yeah, I'm feeling quite relieved.  Actually, that is the first time that I've totally replaced a PS.  I have reconnected one before, while replacing a MB.  It is just about the same.  :emotion-1:

No Events found!