Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2009 08:00

Inspiron 531 Issues

Ok, so I told my friend I would fix her computer after it started acting strange after she installed World of Warcraft.  She had told me that the computer wouldn't start up and I, thinking it would be a simple fix, told her I would fix it.  When I got the computer I plugged it in and found out that what she had said was true.  When I press the power button the computer turns on, but about 5 seconds later it turns off, but then it tries to boot itself up again and again failing each time.  A few of these times it has gotten further, and twice I heard a beep.  I opened up the case and found that everything looked fine except for 3 cords were disconnected, but I don't know if they were meant to be connected in the first place.  They are labeled P6 P7 and P4, and they seem to be connected to the hard drive. So any help the fix my current situation would be greatly appreciated.

December 6th, 2009 08:00

It actually let me log in once, but then a few seconds later it shut down, but it wasn't an instant shut off, it actually went back to the windows xp screen and said "Windows is shutting down"

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 6th, 2009 10:00

Garrettjones331 

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

Are there any 'Beep's', if there are, please post the sequence of them?

The Inspiron 531 Troubleshooter is HERE

THIS  may help you with the power supply connectors.

P7 is for a floppy drive, there is no mention of either a P4, or P6.

Bev.

December 6th, 2009 11:00

It turns from steady amber to steady blue right once I press the button, then it stays steady blue.

No Events found!