Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2013 06:00

Inspiron 531 booting error messages

I was dumb and vacuumed the exterior only of my inspiron 531, and afterwards, it wouldn't boot anymore. 

I get messages that "no boot device is available", and also "diskette drive 0 seek failure".  Also, "previous attempts failed at checkpoint DFH".

I have installed a new battery.  I have rearranged boot priority order, and have also reset it to default bios.  Nothing has helped.

When it attempts to boot, I do hear the fans and one beep as normal, but, it cannot boot.

If the vacuuming isn't what caused my problem, then the only other thing I did was disconnect the external hard drive and UPS usb cord, prior to vacuuming (powered down).

I have tried removing and reinstalling the hard drive.

Wondering if it's just bad, and I need to replace it.  I don't hear any clicking sounds or anything.

Any advice would be great.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 29th, 2013 18:00

windows 7 32 bit.

will i prompt me to insert utility disc?

Axxel

No.

You can find the procedures for reinstalling W7 here:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=DSN_362048

Note. The Drivers must be installed in the correct order [Step 5] and remember to install all the MS critical updates [Step 7] afterwards.

A hint.  Reboot the computer after installing each driver.

Bev.

15 Posts

March 29th, 2013 07:00

I don't have that cd.  Dell is mailing me a recovery cd to reinstall windows, but I am not sure what the resource cd is that you mention.

I have tried reseating those and even tried using different sata slots.  I still am having the same issue.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 29th, 2013 07:00

Hi Axxel,

I suggest you to reseat the hard drive data and power cables and check if the system boots properly.  You will need to run a hardware diagnostics by booting from the Resource CD if the system fails to boot again.

Please let me know about your findings.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 29th, 2013 11:00

I don't have that cd.  Dell is mailing me a recovery cd to reinstall windows, but I am not sure what the resource cd is that you mention.

I have tried reseating those and even tried using different sata slots.  I still am having the same issue.

Axxel

Drivers and Utilities DVD, this is usually shipped with the computer package.

Bev.

15 Posts

March 29th, 2013 15:00

I just received my driver and utilities disc.

Should I use that or just attempt a clean reinstallation of the OS with the reinstallation dvd that also shipped with it?

Also, in the case that I replace the hard drive, does it need to be the same exact size as the original hard drive in order for the OS reinstall to work?  Or can I install a larger hard drive?

15 Posts

March 29th, 2013 16:00

windows 7 32 bit.

will i prompt me to insert utility disc?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 29th, 2013 16:00

Axxel

It would be handy to know which version of windows you are using?

After first installing windows, the Drivers and Utilities DVD is used for installing the drivers.

You can install any internal 3.5", 7200rpm, SATA hard drive, up to 2TB in size, check out the Seagate and Western Digital brands and also, try to find a drive with, at least, a three year warranty.

Regards to the "diskette drive 0 seek failure" error, if you don't have a floppy drive installed, enter the system setup [BIOS] and set the Diskette Drive option to 'Off'.

Bev.

15 Posts

March 30th, 2013 05:00

Thanks Bev, that's very good to know.

I will update later with my results.

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 30th, 2013 09:00

Axxel

:emotion-21:

Bev.

15 Posts

March 30th, 2013 12:00

I don't see the DSS software anywhere on the disk.  Am I missing it?  When I click on "driver", there is a message at the top that dell recommends installing the DSS, but it doesn't list it anywhere or tell me how.

I tried manually doing it from dell website and when I attempted to install it, it told me my computer OS does not support the program.

I don't know what to do.

I did do windows update first also, so it should have SP1 on there, as I believe I needed that prior to getting DSS.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 30th, 2013 12:00

Axxel

If the DSS is not on the Utilities and Drivers DVD and not listed on Dell Downloads site, then you don't need it.

Bev.

15 Posts

March 30th, 2013 13:00

Thanks.

I went ahead and started installing drivers, and restarting in between each one. The nVidea drivers for both the video and nic drivers don't seem to take. They would say they were installed successfully and I would go ahead and restart the computer, but upon reboot it would say I still needed them, and I would do it all over again, with no success.

I ended up skipping them and am now at the audio driver.

Don't know what the deal was with that and if it will cause any problems now that I skipped it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 30th, 2013 14:00

Axxel

Can you log on to the internet, if you can, then the NIC driver is already installed.

Regards to the Video/graphics driver, are you using the default Video/graphics, or have they been updated?

Bev.

15 Posts

March 30th, 2013 19:00

Yes its online.

I'm not really sure about the default video and other drivers.  I did the best I could.  Don't know why they seemed like they weren't installing.  I will try again later and see if they are recognizing the installations I did.

However, the computer seems good now.  Running like new.

I applied new thermal grease, as the old stuff was very dry and several years old.  It was my first time applying grease.  A little smudged out onto the side of the cpu near the top.  Not alot of it, but it still concerns me if it will affect the temperature adversely.  It's also such a small area it seemed so easy to stir up tiny dust particles to contaminate the grease before I reinstalled the heat sink.  I hope I did ok.  What are your thoughts?

I will monitor the temps with a free little app.  What do you think is normal temperature range for dell inspirons?

Thanks again Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 30th, 2013 21:00

Axxel

Microsoft could have installed the drivers, as part of their updates 

I have no idea what the Inspiron 570 temperatures should be.

Regards to reapplying the thermal compound, directions for cleaning and applying it, are HERE.

Have installed the Anti Virus and Anti Malware utilities and updated the definitions?

Bev.

No Events found!