Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2013 18:00

Inspiron 531s possible checksum failure or else, contributing to periodic screen freeze.

Hi every one.

I am helping some one to fix computer at Tom's hardware and after many investigations regarding "freezing screen" it came to beeping codes, this person has one long beep at every boot, which is according to manual - BIOS checksum failure. Possible motherboard failure. PC is working, just freezing at times unpredictably. Full post is here.

If someone can spare time and check this post I would really appreciate. Is anything can be done? This person has very limited budget, so getting new PC is out of the question.

Please help anyone if you can.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

February 20th, 2013 04:00

Hi kisianik,

1 Long beep indicates BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure. This indicates System board failure; covers BIOS corruption or ROM error.

Ideally, a short 1 beep would be heard when we power on the computer which is normal. Check with the customer if it’s a long 1 beep or a short one.

The system might be working now, but the motherboard would fail at some point of time.

I recommend, reseat the CMOS battery on the computer and check.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

January 21st, 2014 15:00

Hi,

I have a beeping noise when I start my desktop as well. I believe it is a BIOS Rom failure. Is there a way to fix it?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 21st, 2014 18:00

Hi,

I have a beeping noise when I start my desktop as well. I believe it is a BIOS Rom failure. Is there a way to fix it?

@amie1 - Always include the PC model! 

How many beeps do you hear and does the PC boot to the desktop? 

If your system is an XP 8700 with BIOS version A05 or older, one single beep at POST (power on, self-test)  is entirely normal, assuming it boots to the desktop. That single POST beep should not be confused with the beep code for a failed motherboard in the XPS 8700.

No Events found!