Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2013 17:00

Inspiron 545 not powering up

A few months ago, I had a problem with my computer not starting up.  The fans were just twitching and then not moving.  After removing the battery and a few more failed attempts, the computer started up fine!  I then left the computer switched on.  When I totally shut down the computer while on summer holidays in January, it failed to start again on my return, and even after removing the internal battery it didn't make any difference, the fans don't even move now!  The green light is  on at the back, and the amber light is on internally, but now, no matter how many times I press the start button, nothing happens.  Just for information, before I shut down the computer to go on holidays, the computer worked fine, with no problems at all!  The only problems I have every had with the computer is when I happen to shut it down!  Its becoming very frustrating!!  Please help!!

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 06:00

Hi lellijay,

Green light at the back usually indicates that the power supply is working fine. However, it seems that the power is not getting distributed properly. I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds

You may also try to reseat the 20 pin and the 4 pin connector on the motherboard. Please refer to the images below:

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 22:00

Will give that a go, and let you know!  Thank you!  :)

1.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 07:00

Hi lellijay,

Thank you for the reply. Please keep me posted with the findings.

I would be glad to assist further.

4 Posts

April 6th, 2013 18:00

Can i just say, that when we had it workng properly, it was on all the time, and when i did updates, and it needed to restart to finish installing them, it did so without problem!  The problem seems to have been when the computer is shut down totally.  the rest of the time, it has worked properly

4 Posts

April 6th, 2013 18:00

Hi, hubby tried what you suggested, and nothing!  He pulled out the power button and checked the connections of that, and it appears ok!  When I had the problem a few months ago, the fans twitched a little but didn't start up, now, they don't even twitch at all!  There is no light on the power button when you depress it either, except when you power down and it (the power button) flashes amber. HUbby also checked all connections, and said that they all appeared to be connected up properly!

I don't knw what to do next - do you have any further suggestions?  

1.5K Posts

April 8th, 2013 07:00

Hi lellijay,

It seems the issue is with the system’s hardware. You may have to replace the power supply of the system. However, if that doesn’t work you may consider replacing the motherboard. 

You can check the warranty details of your computer by visiting the link: http://dell.to/YBlak6 , enter the service tag of your computer and click on Warranty tab.

If the system is not covered under warranty and you are residing in the US, you can contact dell spares at 1-800-372-3355 or you can get it from a local store.

If you want to replace the parts on your own, you may refer to the Owner’s Manual at the link below:

http://bit.ly/12gbejO   

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings. I would be glad to assist further.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2013 23:00

Hi, I'm having the very same problem--the computer was on for a month or so, running fine, then I powered it off, and now I can't turn it on again. I've opened the bezyl, changed the CMOS battery, but still no power. The green light on the back and the amber light inside are on, which I THINK means the problem isn't the power supply. How do I replace the power switch itself? Is that what's needed??

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 22nd, 2013 01:00

Hi ruthstory,

The problem could be with the Power supply/ motherboard. To isolate the problem, please power on the system and try to eject the optical drive and check if that ejects.

Also check if the hard drive status light is lit after switching on the system, this light is present below the power button. If the optical drive does not eject, and if the hard drive status light is not lit then the power supply unit needs to be replaced, else the motherboard needs to be replaced.

To replace the power button, refer the topic ‘Removing the Front I/O Panel’ in this link: http://bit.ly/12gbejO

Please post the results for further help.

No Events found!