Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2012 04:00

Inspiron 545MT Startup problems

Recently, the system has failed to start.

The problem occurs when I shut down windows (but leave power connected to the computer).

I then have to turn power off to the computer for a few minutes and reconnect; I can then usually boot the system.

I have mostly been able to get around this by using sleep mode but that does not always work.

I have rebuilt the system (Windows 7 SP 1) but the problem persisted,

I have tried replacing the motherboard battery and reseating the memory which seemed to work for a few weeks but the problem has recurred.

I have received messages when it has failed to boot - Booting failed at checkpoint [4E] - I have also seen [45], but I do not get a message all the time.

I am at a loss as to where to go now; I have run Dell diagnostics and everything passes.

Can anyone help please?

John

4 Posts

January 4th, 2013 10:00

I am having the same issue as OP. How can I reflash my bios? I already have A12 loaded and when I try to reflash through the utility it stops because I am trying to load the same that is already on it.

I have determined that it is in fact it is either the bios or motherboard issue. New everything, memory, hard drive, tried different os's. Ran multiple stress test and memory tests with no issues. 

I like the old days where you could pop an isa card in and it would tell you what is wrong with the darn thing.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi H-Comms,

Another idea would be to flash an older version of the BIOS.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2013 05:00

So it will not let you load the older version or are you just getting a warning?

4 Posts

It will not. You get the warning in windows and then it exits. Under DOS it just exits with the last line being the warning.

4 Posts

Here is the issue with the dell flash tool. If you try to load the same bios version it halts and tells you that you are trying to load the same version that is already on it and quits. If you try to load an earlier version it halts and tells you that the version loaded is newer than the one you are trying to load. Tried DOS and Windows for loading.

Any workarounds?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 6th, 2013 05:00

What checkpoint errors are you getting?

38 Posts

January 7th, 2013 05:00

the issue sounds like the m/b but may cost to much to trouble shoot. "The problem occurs when I shut down windows" try not shutting down Windows, turn off only the monitor power button to save power and see what happens

No Events found!