Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2010 20:00

Inspiron 546 MT power button stays amber and no signal to monitor

My desktop acts like it is in sleep mode because the power button is solid amber but when ever I press it to wake the compute nothing happens. The monitor immediately says "entering power save mode" and if I press a button on the monitor it says "there is no signal coming from your computer press any key to wake it up" but the keyboard nor the mouse works so the monitor goes blank. I have tried unplugging the power cord, and pressing the power button for 10-30 seconds still same problem. I unhooked all items from tower and unplugged every thing for two days, still same issue. I tried removing the battery, ram and checked for loose connections but nothing has helped.

729 Posts

June 17th, 2010 06:00

Your service manual doesn't say what a solid amber light means, but on older Inspiron models it meant a power problem.  Since you've already checked the connections, I would suggest the problem is with the power supply unit (PSU).  If this PC is still under warranty, call Dell Customer Service to have them come out and replace the PSU for you.  Otherwise any standard ATX power supply will fit.  Need to find at least a 300W PSU with four SATA connectors.  Good luck.

No Events found!