Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2013 15:00

Inspiron 546 double beep, blinking amber, no video, persists with new ram

Hello,

A few years ago my girlfriend's dog knocked her computer on the ground. It wasn't that big of a fall, but ever since then the computer will not boot.

I described the events here -> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120322170711AAmNz9o a few years ago. I never solved the problem.

I finally got around to buying new ram that matches the specifications (DDR2/800mhz) and I'm still having the same problem.

• POST with two beeps repeating and amber lights flashing
  • CPU fan comes on
  • No video

I've purchased brand new RAM, tried the individual stick in each slot with still no success, have tried a new monitor, new vga cable, etc.

I'm all out of ideas. Could it be possible that is a motherboard problem? I don't see how, since the motherboard seems operational with all the LEDS working and the fans. Perhaps the slots where the ram goes were damaged? I don't know, it doesn't seem likely since the fall wasn't that big of a drop.

Thanks for any help in advance

-Nick

August 19th, 2013 16:00

Hi Nick,

The diagnostics could be run if the issue is not the memory and after draining the residual power you are able to get display; however in case of a memory failure, you will not get any display.

As known good memory sticks give the same results, it could be the memory slots on the motherboard not detecting the memory modules.

The system board has 4 memory connectors and you may try connecting the memory to one slot at a time to see if any of the ports work if not yet tried.   

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you further.

Hi Nick,

Two beeps indicate that no memory is detected.

As you have tried installing new memory modules and still getting two beeps, t it seems to be a possible motherboard failure.

You may run the hardware diagnostics to check the hardware functionality.

• Shut down and restart the computer.
  • Press the F12 key immediately when the Dell logo appears. The Boot Device list appears.
  • Select Diagnostics and press the Enter key.

You may try to drain the residual power from the system once and see if that works.

• Disconnect power cable and any external peripherals (Keyboard, mouse, flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power cable, keyboard and mouse.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

3 Posts

Hello, Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the Diagnostics screen because I do not get any video. If it isn't detecting ram, should I still be able to receive video? Thanks

3 Posts

August 19th, 2013 18:00

No such luck. Tried each slot with the new ram. I guess the motherboard has an issue, which seems odd to me since it seems functional otherwise.

Thanks

August 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi Nick,

I understand that the motherboard seems to be functional due to the fan running; however as the memory connectors are unable to detect memory, it is of no use.

If you are residing in the US, you may contact Dell spares for parts purchase. Please click on the link

http://dell.to/11GOIPD 

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you further.

1 Message

November 10th, 2014 00:00

I have the same problem.
I opened the Inspiron Probe all combinations of ram and nothing ... and buy new RAM and nothing.
The funny thing is that the computer had two months without switch on. If anyone has other ideas than the mother board.. it'll be appreciated... thanks.

Regards

Daniel Ruiz

No Events found!