Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MM

June 6th, 2011 09:00

Inspiron 560 Not starting - Clicking noise

Hello,

I tried to turn on my Inspiron 560 desktop this morning and it won't work. The screen comes up as normal and it seems to try to boot up but the blue loading bar only seems to get to half way before it stops and there is a clicking sound coming from the desktop, almost as if it is trying to start the next part of booting up but something is not responding. There are no beeps and no L.E.D. flashing signals. If I leave it alone for a minute or two the screen goes to black and nothing else happens. As I said everything else is working as normal (fans, screen) but something just doesn't seem to be starting up as it should.

This system was purchased less than a year ago from the Dell Outlet so I would not have expected it to be faulty as I was under the impression these are fully refurbished before they are sold.

Has anybody any ideas?

June 6th, 2011 09:00

Ok so I just tried it again and it started up after about 10 mins still with the clicking noise. Usually it starts up within a minute so something is still not right.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 6th, 2011 12:00

Michael Miskelly

Try running Dell Diagnostic's extended test on the hard drive.

The instructions for using Dell's Diagnostics Utility, are HERE

Bev.

June 7th, 2011 15:00

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I did the diagnostics test and the only message which came back was

error code 0F00:133C

Msg: DISK - No suitable disk media is present

I couldn't find a list of error codes for an Inspiron 560 but was unsuccessful, is this something I need to get from Dell?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 7th, 2011 22:00

Michael Miskelly

Error code 0F00:133C, this code usually indicates the optical drive and is reporting that there is either blank CD media or none at all, in your DVD drive. 

To test the optical drives, requires a data disc, try placing a data disc in the DVD drives and rerun the test.

Bev.

June 8th, 2011 09:00

Ok so I did as you said and the test had no faults to report. I am unsure what happened but the PC seems to be working as normal again. I have only heard a couple of abnormal clicks but nothing like before so hopefully whatever is wrong has fixed itself somehow.

I'm hoping that whatever it was has reset during the diagnostics test.

Thanks for the help Bev. Much appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 8th, 2011 10:00

Michael Miskelly

You are welcome.

Bev.

No Events found!