Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2017 08:00

Inspiron 560 boots to power save mode

I have an Inspiron 560 that’s going into power saving mode at boot. The fan is running, power button is steady white and there are no beeps. The keyboard & mouse do not respond, so none of the F functions work and it doesn’t recognize a DVD for diagnostics.

I’ve tried a different monitor and a different cable. I’ve taken out & put back in the memory. The green power supply button on the back is lit when the power cord is removed, so I don’t think it’s a battery issue. The graphics are integrated with a PCI Express X16 empty slot. Is this a motherboard or video card issue? Where do I go from here to figure this out?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 16th, 2017 16:00

Green LED on the back has nothing to do with the motherboard battery. So if you haven't changed it in a while, you may want to install a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2 at discount stores, if nothing else than to rule it out as part of the problem.

Monitor going into Power Saving mode usually means it's not getting a video signal from the PC. And since you tried a different monitor and if there's no card in the PCI-e x16 slot, then this isn't a "video card" issue.

Without a PCi-e x16 card, you're using Intel Graphics that are on the CPU. Which onboard video port are you using, VGA or HDMI? If your monitor supports both of those, get a suitable video cable and connect it to that other port on both PC and monitor.

If using a different onboard video port doesn't help, installing a PCi-e x16 video card might (or not) help. So can you borrow one from another PC, at least to test in the 560?

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 08:00

Thanks for your reply, obviously I'm not a computer expert!  I tried a HDMI cable & replaced the battery, neither made a difference.

This is actually my sisters that I'm trying to help her with.  I have an Inspiron 3847 but that also has Intel Graphics, so I don't have a video card available to try.  Is there any way to diagnose which component is causing this, without paying $100 min just to have someone look at it?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2017 16:00

According to the manual:

If the power light is solid white and the computer is not responding — The display may not be connected or powered on. Ensure that the display is properly connected and then turn it off, then back on.

So the fault is either with the monitor/cable or the motherboard if there's no PCI-e video card installed.

And you're sure there's no PCI-e video card? But I guess you'd have seen it when you changed the battery. Did you press/hold the power button for ~30 sec after removing the old battery and installing the new one?

Just for clarity, onboard video ports are in the region marked by the red X, below, and an add-in video card would be in the region inside the red box. If an add-in video card is installed, the onboard video ports would be disabled.

Got a geeky friend who can loan you an PCI-e x16 video card to test? :emotion-15: And if an add-in video card doesn't work... [:'(]

No Events found!