Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 24th, 2017 21:00

Inspiron 5675 Gaming Power Supply

Ok, so the system comes with a 460 watt power supply.   Not enough to run anything more than the single GPU that comes with the system.   The guy in the chat support told me it was fine and to put the 2nd card in!!!

Do these use standard ATX power supplies?  I've read stories about Dell's power supplies being proprietary and motherboard pins being reversed compared to normal ATX.

Dell wanted $220+ for a 850watt upgrade, but of course refused to tell me that anything other than that power supply would work.  They are out of their minds, so I just want to make sure if I buy a reasonably priced Standard ATX PSU that it will work ok on my system.  Thanks!

1.2K Posts

September 6th, 2017 11:00

I disagree :emotion-3: the spec on the Focus 850 does not list sufficient power.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that the Focus 850 does not provide EPS12V v2.91 or v2.92 spec power

However, the Inspiron desktop does not require EPS12V v.291 or v2.92 spec power.

A modern mini tower, two hard drive desktop does not need that much power  on the 5V / 3.3V rails. The power supply manufacturers know it and are not over building in this area. 

The seasonic focus 850 power supply will easily support the inspiron wtih a pair of Rx580s in it. The reviews of the unit are excellent. 

Saying this again, There is nothing special about the Inspiron gaming desktop where it needs EPS12V server grade power and I would not personally make a PSU purchase decision where this was a requirement, nor would I recommend that it be required.

17 Posts

September 19th, 2017 11:00

Would the CS750M then work? I want the PSU to properly power everything, while leaving overhead for another card, and ram, possibly a liquid cooler.

17 Posts

September 19th, 2017 11:00

I plan on late. but i mostly want to get a better, more powerful psu. The  psu, besides being 460 watts, is also not even 80 plus.And has had had multiple problems across many computers, the model # is D460AM-03, it's a pos according to what im seeing all over dell, alienware, and pc forums.

1.2K Posts

September 19th, 2017 13:00

My opinion on the CS750M is it is an average power supply, but the price is not substantially less than power supplies that are excellent.

The Radeon 580 looks to use about 200 watts  ( +/-) so a 750W should be sufficient.

That said, if I had to buy a 750W PSU today, for me or my family I would get the EVGA 750 G2. It is built by Superflower and has excellent reviews, and I'm not going to debate spec's with anyone but it will exceed the needs of anything one might want to put into an Inspiron 5675.

It is on sale today at new egg for $99.99 with a $20 MIR so its 79.99 plus tax and shipping.

I would triple check that the PCI power connectors meet the needs of your graphics cards, or in other workds make sure that if the card needs dual 8 pin PCIe connectors the PSU has enough connectors for the two cards.

And now for my opinion you didn't ask for.  If this was me or my family I would not add a second 580 card to this system. If I needed more graphics power I'd pull the 580, sell it on eBay and replace it with a single GTX 1080ti. This card also needs a power supply upgrade, but a top notch 650W would be sufficient. Again, you didn't ask for this opinion but it is what I would do.

Good luck with whatever choices you make and let us know how it goes.

No Events found!