Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 570 Hard-disk drive failure

Hi, my Inspiron 570 is displaying this message (along with 1 beep) instead of booting:

"Hard-disk drive failure , strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility
After pressing F1, I get this:
No boot device available
Strike the F1 key to retry boot
SATA 0: None
SATA 1: Installed
SATA 3: None
SATA 4: None

After pressing F2, and looking at the BIOS MAIN tab, it says:
SATA-0 [not detected]
SATA-1 [ATAPI CDROM]
SATA-2 [not detected]
SATA-3 [not detected]
The only CD I have is the one with the drivers, and its currently inside.

The BOOT tab says, under Boot Sequence:
1st Boot device [hard device]
2nd Boot device [usb]
3rd Boot device [cd/dvd: TSSTcorp DV]
4th Boot device [removable dev]
5th Boot device [network]

The problem: We haven't ever installed any new hardware, memory, or partitions. A few times we've let the computer sleep all night, and then it won't wake up correctly, so we press the power button and have to deal with that "your computer did not shut down successfully" message. Until now, booting up was never a problem. There were no previous symptoms, and we scanned for viruses everyday. We have important files on the hard drive- is it possible to go into safe mode and retrieve them?

My mom's system info:
Inspiron 570
BIOS version: A00, 10/19/09
service tag: [Amin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy]
Processor type: AMD Athlon II x2 245 Processor
L2 cache: 2048kb
l3 cache: n/a

EDIT: I made a Linux [ubuntu] bootable CD, and used this tutorial to try to get the files off. Under Ubuntu's 'Computer', there was File System and 4 Drives with unknown properties. It couldn't find either a FAT32 or NTFS drive. As root@ubuntu, I typed
mkdir /media/disk
[nothing happened]

[typed] mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/disk -o force
[message] ntfs -3g: failed to access volume '/dev/sga1': no such file or directory

[typed] mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/sda1 /media/disk
[message] mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

I also booted from my Dell Drivers CD, and ran diagnostics. This is what I got:

error code 0141
msg: hard drive- no drive detected

hard drive DST short does
test results: Fail
error code 2000-0141
msg: Hard Drive - no drive detected

It looks like memory and optical and everything else passed their tests. There were no previous signs of virus infection, and Mom scanned for viruses everyday with Norton. It appears that the hard drive got disconnected or died for no reason. I need to get those files, do you know of another solution? I want to open up the computer and check if the HDD has been disconnected- do you know of a guide to help me with that?

EDIT 3-30-2013: I installed my new hard drive, but I can't install Windows from a boot disk because it doesn't contain the "correct drivers". What drivers does it need? See latest post for details.

8 Posts

January 27th, 2013 14:00

Thanks, but what kind of backup solution would work? I also have an older desktop, but I don't think i should try putting the affected hard drive onto it. I need some way of getting the files copied before taking out this hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 27th, 2013 14:00

Hi Saphira9,

I'm not sure what to tell you other than what you've just discovered. Unfortunately, one of the first signs of a bad hard drive is its immediate failure.

Here is the installation procedure for a new drive <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. Your desktop takes a standard 3.5" (desktop) SATA hard drive. If you do not have your Windows 7 disc, you can order replacement discs on this page. I have a link below to Natakuc's clean install mguide to help you through the Windows reinstallation procedure.

Once you have the system up and running, you can try connecting your old drive to retrieve the files, but I think there is only a slim chance it will work insofar as your BIOS does not detect the drive.

Please consider some sort of backup solution going forward to avoid file loss.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 28th, 2013 04:00

My backup suggestion will not help your current drive. But it will prevent file loss in the future.

An alternative strategy for retrieving files would be something like this Linux bootable CD for recovering files from a dead hard drive.

8 Posts

February 4th, 2013 05:00

Ok. I made a Linux [ubuntu] bootable CD, and used this tutorial to try to get the files off. Under Ubuntu's 'Computer', there was File System and 4 Drives with unknown properties. It couldn't find either a FAT32 or NTFS drive. As root@ubuntu, I typed
mkdir /media/disk
[nothing happened]

[typed] mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/disk -o force
[message] ntfs -3g: failed to access volume '/dev/sga1': no such file or directory

[typed] mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/sda1 /media/disk
[message] mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

I also booted from my Dell Drivers CD, and ran diagnostics. This is what I got:

error code 0141
msg: hard drive- no drive detected

hard drive DST short does
test results: Fail
error code 2000-0141
msg: Hard Drive - no drive detected

It looks like memory and optical and everything else passed their tests. There were no previous signs of virus infection, and Mom scanned for viruses everyday with Norton. It appears that the hard drive got disconnected or died for no reason. I want to open up the computer and check if the HDD has been disconnected- do you know of a guide to help me with that?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 4th, 2013 09:00

Thanks, but what kind of backup solution would work? I also have an older desktop, but I don't think i should try putting the affected hard drive onto it. I need some way of getting the files copied before taking out this hard drive.

Saphira9

The easy method, for a backup, would be to clone the exsisting primary hard drive to an installed secondary hard drive. 

You'll need a imaging utility, similar to Acronis True Image Home 2013,

First, install the new drive as the secondary and image the exsisting primary hard drive to it.

Then if the primary HD has any software issues, or fails, open the case, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected, to establish it as the master boot drive.

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected, at this time.

Followed by shutting the system down, reconnecting, the drive that has issues, or a replacement drive, then clone the primary C: / drive to the secondary

A second SATA data cable will be required, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

Bev.

8 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 11:00

I finally received my new hard drive from Seagate, and put it in. The instructions say to boot the system to the Windows7 CD. My parents bought this computer new, but they don't remember if it came with a boot disk. All they have is the drivers disk. The windows sticker is on the back of the computer. Can I make my own boot disk with this license number?

(btw, change of plans- I need to get this computer working now, and try to save the files from the old drive later)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 14:00

Saphira9

Yes, but it must be the same version of Windows that was factory installed.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 16:00

I finally received my new hard drive from Seagate, and put it in. The instructions say to boot the system to the Windows7 CD. My parents bought this computer new, but they don't remember if it came with a boot disk. All they have is the drivers disk. The windows sticker is on the back of the computer. Can I make my own boot disk with this license number?

I don't know which version of Windows you have, but I am assuming it is either Windows 7 Professional or Home Premium. Click a link to download an ISO.

The product key on your COA will activate an install of the appropriate version.

8 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 23:00

Ok, thanks. I used your link for Home Premium, burned the iso to a DVD, and successfully booted from it. After clicking Install and beginning Setup, it says "Select the driver to be installed.", with a popup saying "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note: If the Windows Installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

So I put in the Dell drivers CD, but it says "No device drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"

So I put in the "Disc Utility" CD that came with my new internal hard drive [which is a Seagate 500GB], but got the same message.

So I came to Dell's drivers page and looked up drivers for this service tag. I downloaded:

1) Serial ATA Seagate ST3500413AS (500G, 3.5", 20mm, SATA, 6Gb/s, 7200, 512n)

2) Drivers for OS Deployment Dell S2230MX Monitor, A00-00

3) Drivers for OS Deployment Dell U2412M MONITOR, A00-00

I burned those to a CD and put it into the computer in question, and got the same message. It can display the files on the CDs, but none of them contained the "correct drivers". So, what are the drivers it is looking for? Help?

8 Posts

March 30th, 2013 12:00

Can anyone please help me figure out what drivers it needs to install this OS? Is it expecting these drivers to be on the boot disk, or the new hard drive? How do I get these drivers?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 30th, 2013 14:00

Saphira9

The drivers are not on the reinstallation DVD, or nor are they on the hard drive, you must install them.

If you are using the default operating system, that was factory installed, the Drivers should be on the Drivers and Utilities DVD, or they can be downloaded from Dell's Drivers and Download site, here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-570?s=dhs

Note: The drivers need to be installed in the correct order.

You should be able to find the drivers you need by entering the service tag

The procedures for Reinstalling Windows on a Dell Computer, are HERE

Bev.

8 Posts

March 30th, 2013 20:00

That was not helpful. As I said before, the drivers were obviously not on the boot disk I made from the Home Premium iso. When I put in the Dell "Drivers and Documentation" CD (which is all I got), it did not have the correct drivers.

I downloaded all the "urgent" drivers from this site. As I said before, none of them were what Setup was looking for. Your "Re-installing Windows" link contains links to removed documents. Somebody please read everything I've already done...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 31st, 2013 05:00

Saphira9,

The installation using a Dell OS disc is not going to ask for drivers. You can go here to order replacement discs since this system did not ship with discs.

The drivers needed by your ISO installer are the RAID drivers. Since you have an AMD chipset, you might try going to the AMD site for those. Alternatively, you can boot to the BIOS and set the controller to ATA mode, which should allow the installer to find your drive.

8 Posts

March 31st, 2013 13:00

1) I just put in a request for a backup disk. But if it costs money since our warranty expired, Mom won't pay for it. She got impatient and switched our computers. :(

2) I went to the AMD website, downloaded the file from this page, executed the file, and got a package folder of drivers. I put them on a flash drive and tried them one by one. Each one was either incorrect, or Setup would run them and then say "No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media"

3) I'm not sure how to set "the controller" to ATA mode. The tutorials I found from Google weren't very helpful. Could you help me find a walkthrough for this please?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 31st, 2013 17:00

Ok, boot to the BIOS and go to advanced chipset features. There's a setting called SATA mode. Change that from AHCI to ATA. That should allow easy installation of the operating system.

When you install the drivers, be sure to install the chipset driver first.

No Events found!