Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2010 04:00

Inspiron 580 - random crashes

Hello,

the last two weeks I went through a hell of setting up and using my brand new Inspiron 580 ( Intel i3 530, 4GB RAM DDR3 Dual Channel, 640 GB HD, nVidia G310 512MB grafics, Realtek something sound, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit).

If I remember right, crashes starting with normal using the computer, like listening music (foobar2000) and surfing internet or transfering a lot of data from my old computer to the new one.
I never get any Memory.dmp to analyse and Event Management in Windows said just something about Kernel Power Error.
I read so much threads about similar issues of users. I tried everything.

Updated the newest Driver of the Realtek Sound (on dell support driver dowload site the one was a bit older), I disabled HighDefinition Audio of nVidia Videocard, I disabled completly the Win7 Energymanagement, I ran 10000 tests and dell Preboot check system, stresstests and all the stuff that everyone recommend.
It found nothing (as by all the other users) I don't have the time to change the hardware, because I am sure it's ok - there are several other useres who replaced their hardware and the crashes still occure. I know this must not related to my problem, but I am sure it do.

Today I disabled the internal sound devices completly. I use my external USB soundcard. It's ok, but not what I want - I need to use both!
Since 5 hours the computer is running fine. I know that means nothing, but I will test it this way.
I found out the backside USB ports + sound + some other devices share one IRQ - So I was unabled to get my external soundcard running. On the frontside with another IRQ it works...

So my question:

Do Dell test their products this way?
I mean - the basic components and drivers should work before they sell this configurations?!
When will any Update come (I can't find any drivers for my Service Tag!) and the downloadable drivers of Dell Inspiron 580 are the same which are shipped with my new computer?
I don't want to be a BETA Tester who pay for a halfboiled product and report errors and waste time with that stuff.

I am really annoyed losing some much time to mess around with system configurations (not to speak that dell send me a maschine with broken harddisk at first).

So here my conclusion and sorry for the blah:

Are Dell working on that problem of random crashes which seems to depends on (in my case) Realtek sound/drivers/IRQ sharing?
Is there any solution to use the build in sound without crashes, without replacing hardware or send back the maschine?

Please tell me before I lose any faith in this product.

Greetings from Germany.

Marcus

60 Posts

March 8th, 2010 04:00

could be a number of things

could be the memory my computer started crashing for no reason at all untill i replaced my memory

and for the sound it could be bad try geting a new sound card

3 Posts

March 8th, 2010 05:00

the memory test passed all. I think hardware is ok, it depends on configuration/components/driver for some reason.
I know it's complex and it takes month till new hardware and software work together.
But I feel like buying the newest high tec car, which run at 500PS super quiet and dolby surround car audio system inside and on the highway at 200 km/h the maschine go off, because I turned the radio on. I drive against a wall and I am dead. Because of the fact the car is new and I got guarantee I will get a new one.
Later it turns out the brakes were not compatible to the car hifi. But it doesn't matter at all - I am dead. Funny thing.
I don't want to buy a computer to spend a month on tests and replacing components. whether or not the computer costs 150 or 500 EUR.
Sorry for offtopic. :emotion-18:

May 27th, 2010 05:00

Hi - how is your 580 behaving now? I have had my 580 for 10 days and for the first couple of days was fine. Then it started shutting down with Kernel Power errors. Not rebooting, just shttuing down. No BSOD. I reseated the power cables and things seemed to work fine - no shut downs for 3 days. then today two more shut downs in the the space of an hour or so.

Have you managed to fix this yourself? did the USB sound card thing help you?

I've disable power saving, turned of Intel Speedstep, but then I even had a shutdown at the BIOS screen - so I'm wondering if there is something else at fault for me. I passed the memory test. wonder if it's faulty PSU or somethig like that.

Thanks.

3 Posts

May 27th, 2010 14:00

Finally I send the computer back to Dell and they replaced the faulty mainboard and the RAM.

No crashes since then ;-).
Don't waste your time with testing and stuff. It is not software related if your new computer crashes every now and then.

The additional USB Card didn't fix my external soundcard failture. The slot shares the same IRQ :emotion-15: so I run it on the front USB which works ok.

Good luck!

No Events found!