Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2011 20:00

Inspiron 580 video card fan making awful noise! Can I replace the video card with any other?

I'm so disappointed with this computer and Dell in general since silence was the main reason I bought it in the first place.

It's especially infuriating since the problem is only the fan, not the card itself.

The problem is that there seems to be so many different versions of that card, see https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=geforce+220&btnG=Google+Search#q=geforce+GT+220&hl=en&prmd=imvnsrfd&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=fCnLTpPFBIvomAWQ1MGnDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CE8QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=ec9cfe77cc94841b&biw=1527&bih=896

So my question is:

1. Can I replace it with any of these GT220 cards?

2. Can I replace it with any other brand of video cards? (other than NVidia i mean)

Thank you for your advice

15 Posts

November 21st, 2011 23:00

"GeForce GT 220" refers to the chipset, not the card see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_Series

Broadly speaking swapping your video card has two considerations, physical requirements, and drivers.

Physically you need to know the internal requirements of you machine, graphics card slot type, and if its a full,or half, height card; externally what connects do you need for monitor (and/or TV?).

Generally manufacturers supply drivers enhanced for their cards, however generic drivers (if available) for that chipset should work with all cards using that chipset - although you probably won't be able to access manufacturer specific features.  Hence if you have the same make & model of card, swap them out, otherwise you'll probably want to treat any card as a new card.  Very quickly the typical procedure I use when changing graphics cards: (with card in place) remove existing driver (Windows should set basic graphics driver in its place); down pc, swap cards & re-boot; load drivers for new card.  However if you're going to do this do your homework first, there's probably some very good "how to" videos on you-tube.

Reading your post, the other question that arose in my mind was, if its only the fan which doesn't work, have you considered replacing the fan?  (Probably only a suitable solution if your fan has a simple housing.)

Hope this helps.

12 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 05:00

Thank you very much for your answer,

I'd love to change only the fan, but I can't find one for sale anywhere.

For a one year old machine I'm really disappointed. Won't be buying Dell again.

12 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 06:00

Smart thinking. I'm checking it out.

15 Posts

If you want to try swapping the fan, check the fan size, its connections and mounting points.  I get a lot of little bits at t'bay - try searching for "graphics fan" in PC Components / Fans & Heatsinks

Like you I am only a user, with no connection to Dell.  Unfortunately moving parts in a pc are vulnerable, and fans do tend to suffer!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

The Zotac card doesn't have a fan.  This means no fan to fail.

ZOTAC GeForce GT 220 ZONE Edition Graphics card - 1 GB - DDR2 SDRAM

12 Posts

Yes, espescially when they're made from the cheapest possible plastic

12 Posts

Wow, crazy heatsink, but seems very reasonably priced. I'm going to go for it.

No Events found!