Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2015 10:00

Inspiron 620 Hard Drive Stuck in cage

I am upgrading an Inspiron 620 to Windows 10.  I choose to do the upgrade on a new hard drive to preserve the original hard drive as a backup.  When I attempted to remove the hard drive from its mounting following the instructions (remove two screws and pull) I could not get it to come out of the cage.  Something appears to be holding the hard drive securely in the cage.  I removed the two screws that mount the hardware to the hard drive with no success.  Currently I plan to install the new hard drive in the tower leaving the old hard drive unpowered but would like to remove it to place it in an external USB case.

Any ideas as to what might be locking the hard drive in the case would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2015 12:00

Its a super tight fit.  What you do is get a pair of pliers and squeeze the ears of the rails inward and it will slide out like nothing was ever wrong. (I am assuming you removed BOTH screws BEFORE trying to bend the ears) Using both hands and standing on the case and pulling wont get it out.  I considered smashing the drive with a sledge but decided against that.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2015 11:00

Thank you for your prompt response.  I tried bending ears inward was still unable to get HDD out.  Finally decided to leave HDD installed but unpowered as I was going to use it as a 'back up' and installed new HDD to operate computer.  This HDD failed a hard drive test utility I use so I imagine it is on its last legs anyway.

Thanks again.

2 Posts

September 6th, 2016 07:00

I followed Speedstep's advice working on the computer laying on it's side.  Nada.  Couldn't get it out no matter how I tugged with those pliers.  Then I tried getting it out again with the tower in its upright position.  It was still sticky but it did slide out.   Thank you Speedstep.  

No Events found!