Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 15:00

Inspiron 620 MT BTS to Factory Setting

I have today opened up a new Inspiron 620 with Windows 7 that was shipped 10 days ago. The machine booted and functioned correctly, with Anti Virus and MS Office loaded. I then perfomed the Windows updates, and added Chrome, Picassa + drivers for Nikon P50 . The system needed a reboot to apply the windows updates which was prompty done, and during close down there was a blue screen which quickly became a reboot.

I attempt to recover the start-up but to no avail, as although there was are three roll back point listed the system would not use it. All other attempts to recover it failed, so in desperation I reinstalled from the supplied DVD, moving the old install into the old.windows folder witha new install

On rebooting windows came up fine BUT, there is none of the factory installed functions . nor are the tag details accessible.  How do I reinstall the system back to the factory settings that we there this morning. I can see the recovery partition through system adminstrator, but am uncertain how to access it through the recovery if that is possible, if that is even where I should be.

Guidance please, the machine has been out of the box less than 8 hours and it seems pretty well stufffed at present, with only a baseline Windows 7 system there, without the other product that I purchased.  The Dell site will not let me down load them as I do not have the service tag when the system searches.

Advise please

1.1K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 15:00

Hi paulatockbrook

Welcome to the community.

Since you mentioned that the partition has not been deleted, please refer to the following link to bring the system back to its factory settings.  Please make sure to backup your data first , as it will delete all your personal data.

http://dell.to/iv7brP

You will find your system's service tag on the system tower for your future reference.

Hope this helps.

Glad to assist you!

Vikram Makkar

Social Outreach Professional

June 24th, 2012 03:00

Vikram

Thanks for the guidance, however the hyperlink is unreachable

"The chosen document is not currently available. Please try again later."

Can you please suggest anywhere else to look for this

1.1K Posts

June 24th, 2012 07:00

Hi paulatockbrook

You can refer to the following link to bring the system back to its factory settings. 

Glad to assist you!

Regards

Vikram Makkar

1.1K Posts

June 24th, 2012 08:00

Hi paulatockbrook

The above mentioned link also does not seems to be working.  Please log in to www.support.dell.com and you will see a search box at top right corner. Type in the search box  " PC restore " and press enter. Please select " Windows 7 PC restore " and follow the instructions. Hope this helps!

Glad to assist you!

Vikram Makkar

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

June 24th, 2012 09:00

Vikram

Exactly the same effect again, as noted above. Is there any other way of approaching this ?

Paul

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2012 09:00

Except for the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, remove all external peripherals including:

Note:
An external peripheral is a device that connects to a port on the front, side or back of the computer, like a printer or memory key.
  • Scanner
  • Printer
  • Modem or Network cables
  • Personal Digital Assistant (PDA)
  • USB flash drive or other external Hard Drive
  • Any other external devices (e.g., USB-attached devices)
  • Remove the computer from the docking station, if you are using one.

Restore the computer's software to original condition.

Using Dell Factory Image Restore in Windows 7

Notice:  
  Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.  

1    Turn on the computer.

2   As the computer starts, press on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

Note:  
  You must press before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.  

3    Press the on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu , and then press .

4    Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5    Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6    Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

7    In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

8    Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.

9    Click Next
The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

10    When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received. Back to Top

Windows 7, restore, factory settings, PC Restore, Win 7, reboot, factory

No Events found!