Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2012 18:00

Inspiron 620s can't start with solid amber light

Hi, I have a 1.5 year old Inspiron 620s (I5-2310) which died suddenly, with blank/black screen and solid amber light on the power button. It also has an amber light on the motherboard.  I thought it was power supply problem so I changed to a new power supply, but still not work. When I power it up, all fans running, hd drive and dvd seems running. There is no beep sound, and no light on keyboard. I am now suspicous if the motherboard died.

Any suggestion what should I try? If I buy a micro ATX motherboard (eg this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130639) ), what problem do you think I would have?

many thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 9th, 2012 22:00

You might try removing the CMOS battery for a minute or two and then replacing it.

The motherboard should work, but you'll likely have to reinstall and reactivate the OS. (I suggest you download a Windows 7 ISO from Digital River and burn it to DVD for this purpose.) Also, if it doesn't have a removable IO shield, you'll have to cut out the opening yourself.

The Windows OEM license allows you to replace the motherboard for reasons of repair; if you have trouble activating, call Microsoft's 1-800 number and explain the situation.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2012 19:00

Thanks for the information (esp on the ISO etc which is new to me). I tried removing the CMOS battery but no success. I am increasingly thinking it is a motherboard problem, since I can't hear the beeps even with memory removed. The original power supply is bad (checked with a multimeter). I am suprised to see such poor quality on this less than 1.5 years new Dell desktop -- just changed the keyboard which had several keys not working.  (I am typing on my older pc which is also a Dell, so Dell quality was not all like this but seems deteriorating).

2 Posts

February 18th, 2014 09:00

Any updates?  Our Dell Inspiron 620 just failed with orange motherboard light and Chinese message on our display saying bad video card???

No Events found!